Drill Press Vice?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
KiaTia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Drill Press Vice?

Post by KiaTia »

Does anyone here use a drill press vice and a drill press to make weight pockets? I am not sure if a drill press has enough RPM to make this process work but if so a vice it not too expensive. Photos or brand names would be nice if anyone is making this work.

Thanks
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Drill Press Vice?

Post by gpraceman »

We use a drill press and vise to drill out weight pockets at all of the workshops that we hold. We use Forstner bits for the drilling and just nibble out the wood. The vise is just a regular inexpensive vise but we do use some soft jaws that attach with magnets to keep from marring up the block.

That step is easiest to perform before the block has been cut to shape. Just mark the block with the design (side and bottom profiles) to make sure that the weight pocket is not drilled too deep or outside of the intended design.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
KiaTia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by KiaTia »

gpraceman wrote:We use a drill press and vise to drill out weight pockets at all of the workshops that we hold. We use Forstner bits for the drilling and just nibble out the wood. The vise is just a regular inexpensive vise but we do use some soft jaws that attach with magnets to keep from marring up the block.

That step is easiest to perform before the block has been cut to shape. Just mark the block with the design (side and bottom profiles) to make sure that the weight pocket is not drilled too deep or outside of the intended design.
I was thinking about something like this:

http://m.sears.com/productdetails.do?pa ... 924087000P
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

KiaTia wrote:I was thinking about something like this:

http://m.sears.com/productdetails.do?pa ... 924087000P
If just drilling weight pockets, that is a bit of overkill.

The adult can hold the vice in position on the drill press table and have the kid do the drilling of the block. Slide the vice around on the drill press table to position the block for the next plunge with the Forstner bit.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Randy Lisano

quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

gpraceman wrote:The adult can hold the vice in position on the drill press table and have the kid do the drilling of the block. Slide the vice around on the drill press table to position the block for the next plunge with the Forstner bit.
This is really what we do. Kids love to do the drilling and the adult (guess who !) has his hands on the block sliding it around. I don't see a lot of use for a vise in this as you are going all over the block, potentially. We use forstner bits, saw drills http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-sa ... 42804.html, and various sizes of low cost, 4-flute end mills.
Nate
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Nate »

Looks like a great vice. If you're going for fancy or overkill, look at something that can provide an offset angle. That will allow you to do things like drilling precision cant axles.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

quadad wrote:I don't see a lot of use for a vise in this as you are going all over the block, potentially.
For safety sake, I'd use a vise. I've had bits grab onto a piece of wood and spin it around. I wouldn't want to be holding it by hand if that happens. :eek:
Randy Lisano

KiaTia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by KiaTia »

Nate wrote:Looks like a great vice. If you're going for fancy or overkill, look at something that can provide an offset angle. That will allow you to do things like drilling precision cant axles.
LOL

I will use any excuse to buy a new tool.
Nate
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Nate »

gpraceman wrote:For safety sake, I'd use a vise. I've had bits grab onto a piece of wood and spin it around. I wouldn't want to be holding it by hand if that happens. :eek:
If you haven't shot a perfectly good workpiece across the room with a drill press, you're still getting to know your way around the shop. ;)
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Nate wrote:If you haven't shot a perfectly good workpiece across the room with a drill press, you're still getting to know your way around the shop. ;)
Try kickback on a tablesaw. :eek: :eek: :eek: I put a nice dent into the side of my tent trailer from that. Fortunately, I was off to the side and not directly in front of the blade. :whew:
Randy Lisano

AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

We use a drill press to drill weight holes and axles. Each has a fence that you hold the block/car against. The bottom of the car fits against the fence and the drill is set not to drill through the car. Using the size bit we do, we know that one hole will equal about 1oz of lead. Parents usually hold the car/block against the fence and boys pull the handle to drill the holes. It's been working for us over 10 years.
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

We use a Rotozip to route out weight pockets. The Rotozip cuts the pine like butter. Just remember to use your fingertips to guide the tool for the tip end and not try to do it by the body. Using the depth gauge and your fingertips, you can almost act like its a pen when routing the wood. Be sure to clamp the car body to a table top or something. You will not be able to hold it in place by hand.

The other thing to do the outside edge of where you want to route and then take out the meat from the center area.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

We use a similar to setup to AlabamaDan's, but without a precise fence, yet.
A 25/64 drill bit will make PERFECT holes for 3/8 tungsten or lead.
Ours is a 2nd hand Harbor Freight drill press, works just fine for weight pockets.
Axle holes aren't quite as easy, but if we're careful we're okay.
Good Luck!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Just another suggestion - Another option is to cut your weight pockets all the way through the body and use a 1/64" basswood cover plate. That is what we have been doing lately.