Three questions on axle polishing

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Three questions on axle polishing

Post by quadad »

There are lots of charts out there, most disagreeing with each other. Here is another (doesn't go too high though): http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/frasqu.html
Ynot
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ynot »

If I understand this thread correctly your using Micromesh dry, correct. Is that it? Do you go on to graphite after that. Headlight restorer? Seems to simple and makes me have to ask if I'm missing something?

BTW, I get it from Rockler. They're 3"x4" pads and come in a 9 pack from 1500 to 12000 grit.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Ynot wrote:If I understand this thread correctly your using Micromesh dry, correct. Is that it? Do you go on to graphite after that. Headlight restorer? Seems to simple and makes me have to ask if I'm missing something?
I suggest Micromesh wet to 2 microns to my pups. After that, some diamond polish stepped to 0.5 micron.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Ynot
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ynot »

Thanks. After posting I realized that I should also have asked if there is a step between filing/flashing and micromesh. My files aren't exactly super smooth. Should I actually begin with say 600 wet sandpaper up to 3000 or so then on to the MM?
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Ynot wrote:Thanks. After posting I realized that I should also have asked if there is a step between filing/flashing and micromesh. My files aren't exactly super smooth. Should I actually begin with say 600 wet sandpaper up to 3000 or so then on to the MM?
For BSA axles, we usually start with 400 grit wet, but be careful you don't reduce the diameter of the axle any more then necessary.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

Last couple of years we inverted the wet/dry plan. We used sandpaper and cushioned micromesh dry, cleaned with a baby wipe, then lapping films wet, then Mothers M&A, another baby wipe, cotton string (ala Doc Jobe) and finally a leather shammy or selvyt cloth. I haven't noticed a real difference in the final product other than less water on the drill press table and base.

You have to go the minimum necessary at 400 grit or you will lose diameter. I have the kids polish 5-6 axles and then we use the best ones and let the digital caliper help select the two largest for the rears.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

quadad wrote:Last couple of years we inverted the wet/dry plan. We used sandpaper and cushioned micromesh dry, cleaned with a baby wipe, then lapping films wet, then Mothers M&A, another baby wipe, cotton string (ala Doc Jobe) and finally a leather shammy or selvyt cloth. I haven't noticed a real difference in the final product other than less water on the drill press table and base.

You have to go the minimum necessary at 400 grit or you will lose diameter. I have the kids polish 5-6 axles and then we use the best ones and let the digital caliper help select the two largest for the rears.
Interesting quadad. For an oil prep I use micromesh WET to 2 micron (micromesh 12000), then 1 micron lapping film DRY, 0.3 micorn lapping film DRY, final 0.05 micron jewelry polish (Monkey Jam ) applied with a selvyt cloth.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

Our recent prep for oil/graphite is basically the same and went to 0.05 for both. In hindsight I think 0.3 micron was plenty far for graphite axles, but we were set up for it. I know that wet sandpaper is popular, but I followed Sporty on that one and judging the final product, I think it was the way to go.

As I look back on our now completed PWD career, the one constant that never changed was using Mothers M&A on the axles - an old WarpSpeed suggestion. It still seemed to clean the axles we had down to submicron levels. Interesting that this never changed but pretty much everything else from how we drill axle holes, to prep'd bores, to aligned cars, and on and on, it all changed.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

quadad wrote:Our recent prep for oil/graphite is basically the same and went to 0.05 for both. In hindsight I think 0.3 micron was plenty far for graphite axles, but we were set up for it. I know that wet sandpaper is popular, but I followed Sporty on that one and judging the final product, I think it was the way to go.

As I look back on our now completed PWD career, the one constant that never changed was using Mothers M&A on the axles - an old WarpSpeed suggestion. It still seemed to clean the axles we had down to submicron levels. Interesting that this never changed but pretty much everything else from how we drill axle holes, to prep'd bores, to aligned cars, and on and on, it all changed.
Quadad - thanks for your observations. I use Monkey Jam for the final which is either a jewelry polish or a mag polish. Smells more like a jewelry polish, but hey, I guess I have never sniffed Mother's mag polish. Again - for graphite, I'm sure 12000 micromesh is fine.