[no advertising for this vendor]

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
murphken
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: [no advertising for this vendor]

Post by murphken »

It will be interesting if any of you have some data with respect to [no advertising for this vendor]. I have experimented with it and could not find the speed. I might have done something wrong with respect to proper prep to get optimal results.
SHINING LIGHT Pinewood Derby & Audio
Curse You Red Baron!
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Curse You Red Baron! »

Speedster, I do not think that [no advertising for this vendor] is good idea for you if you already have a good polish and lube process -been sick this week or would have checked in sooner. Apologies if I gave a wrong impression, but what I meant to say was that it appeared useful in overcoming a poor prep process. I don't intend to use it, since my current process yields better results.

F.S. That is an interesting question, will follow up if I get the chance - I seem to remember that Hobby Lube took me from about 14 seconds to 24 seconds or so, and polishing etc got me to low 30's ... But that was with the older, heavier wheels. It would be worth looking at again.

There are a ton of holes in my test process, which is why I started with "for what it's worth", but I was always curious about [no advertising for this vendor], so I wanted to look at it a bit.

Speedster, I would wager that alignment, despite being in many ways the most difficult nut to crack, is where you will find your most consistent and effective winning edge. I think Sporty has provided quick and effective methods, and Stan has done some elegant work on this topic.
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

murphken wrote:It will be interesting if any of you have some data with respect to [no advertising for this vendor]. I have experimented with it and could not find the speed. I might have done something wrong with respect to proper prep to get optimal results.
Like murphken I wasn't able to find any magic solution with [no advertising for this vendor]. As far as data, I have some numbers from some testing I did a year or so ago. I tested three different graphite products using the same application technique for each of them. Using the same car and same wheel/axle preparation here are the averages for each graphite product after 20 runs down the same lane of the same track.

Hob-E-Lube 2.6562
Max V Graphite 2.6580
[no advertising for this vendor] 2.6627

However, when I take a look at the longevity of the three different lubes by breaking down the 20 heats into the first 10 and the last 10 then [no advertising for this vendor] has a bit of an advantage.

First 10 Heats
Hob-E-Lube 2.6444
Max V 2.6494
[no advertising for this vendor] 2.6716

Last 10 Heats
Hob-E-Lube 2.6680
Max V 2.6666
[no advertising for this vendor] 2.6538

So, from my testing it appears the [no advertising for this vendor] would be the better choice of those three when you expect a couple of dozen races without the ability to re-graphite. Remember that after 20 races [no advertising for this vendor] still came in third place. Although I didn't continue beyond 20 heats, some modeling showed that [no advertising for this vendor] would gain the advantage after the 24th heat.

I am curious to learn of any testing that others may have done with [no advertising for this vendor].
having_wandered
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by having_wandered »

Here are my daughter's results using [no advertising for this vendor]. I think the pictures explain it best.
Awana race earlier this year. Hers is the green car.

Picture from behind the finish line...

Took this one from behind the starting gate

Yes there are 4 cars racing here:

And the raceoff against the other undefeated car for her bracket:

Ancedotal of course but real world result. They did not have a category for fastest overall but I never saw a time posted in any of the brackets that matched her lowest time.
edit- Should point out this car weighed 134 grams. It ran on 3 wheels (Awana wheels and axles)
~Not all who wander are lost.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

That appears to be a Best track. Do you know how many feet it is from the Start Pin to the timer? What is your daughter's fastest time? Did you break in the [no advertising for this vendor] on a treadmill and follow all the other rules that are recommended?
having_wandered
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by having_wandered »

Speedster wrote:That appears to be a Best track. Do you know how many feet it is from the Start Pin to the timer? What is your daughter's fastest time? Did you break in the [no advertising for this vendor] on a treadmill and follow all the other rules that are recommended?
Sorry didn't write those down and the picture I took of the computer screen only shows her points standing. I wasn't able to score a treadmill and haven't conviced the wife to install a track in the basement so application was just burnishing the axles with dremel and leather packed with [no advertising for this vendor], packing the wheels with the axles in (using a wooden dowel with a hole drilled to accomodate the axle), and then just some test runs that day down the wooden track. The wheels were polished and [no advertising for this vendor] applied with the special pipe cleaners from DD. Did 2000 grit polish on the axles.
~Not all who wander are lost.