2010 KITT Pinewood Car

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

2010 KITT Pinewood Car

Post by ah8tk »

2010 KITT
For my son, Noah’s last pinewood car (as a Cub Scout) he decided to build one of his favorite cars ever, KITT. The Knight Industries Two Thousand (the original) was the co-star of the Knight Rider series from 1982 to 1986 with David Hasselhoff.

Last year at the World of Wheels, (a traveling car show, that helps some of us mid-westerners to know that there is something to look forward to after all of the snow) they had the original KITT and the new KITT (to help the new show’s ratings). We got our picture taken with the original KITT and the new KITT

(I didn’t lose the top of my head, but I did lose $8 for the picture). Noah took a lot of pictures with his digital camera of KITT, when we returned home he needed to print out all of the pictures. I gave him a photo album and he was up in his room typing notes and drawing pictures (yes, he does own a typewriter).

Noah’s mother purchased the DVD set of first season a couple of years ago and Noah can’t stop watching the series. He thinks the computer controlled car is one of the coolest things he has ever seen. When he watches the episodes he often has to stop so he can document what all of the switches in the car control (he has figured that they move the buttons for different episodes). Here is one of the drawings from the book:

The first part of building is making a plan for the car, Noah plan:

Dad plan:

And then the build starts:

Cutting that center portion from the body saved 1.07 oz. That seems to be significant loss.

This year was the first year we did not have arguments of how much sanding was enough, he would bring me the car and I would show him what needed more sanding and he would go back and sand some more.

While I was looking up pictures of KITT to use to draw the plans from, I found a company that makes a KITT scanner for the front of the 1:18 scale cars. I figured with a little adaptation we may possibly be able to use this on a pinewood derby car. I brought the idea up to Noah, and showed him their website Knightlight and he thought it would work too.

So we ordered the board without LEDs as I was planning to use rectangular, 2.5 x 5mm, LEDs on our scanner (to reduce its width). It took a while to get here from the UK.

We used epoxy to attach the LEDs together for the scanner and then we set out to cut the hole to mount the LED assembly.

note the use of a Kleenex to cover up his 1:18 scale KITT while we were sanding:

I informed Noah while we were purchasing the scanner that he would need to solder the connections from the LEDs to the board, and he did a really good job for his first time at soldering.

Then we made a metal cover for the scanner and used bondo to hold it in place:

The electronics are meant to be powered by a 9V battery. A 9V battery weighs 1.65 oz., this was way too much, so we looked into some button batteries. Button batteries did not have the capacity to power the scanner for long (in my estimation). We eventually came up with a 12V garage door opener battery the weight of that battery was .28oz. We had to make our own custom battery holder:

We had originally made a steel bottom for the car. The steel bottom (made from a piece of thin, galvanized, roof flashing) made it hard to get the car to 4.8oz. before paint. We ended up removing more wood weight and while we were removing wood weight I got the dremel caught around the wires going to the scanner. Nothing was damaged (some of the insulation was nicked) and all of the LEDs continued to work. We eventually made an aluminum bottom cover for the car saving .34 oz. Then it was off to the paint booth for some primer:

After we sanded out the primer we added panel lines into the primered surface. Then we applied paint.

We always seem to have some trouble with the paint, I forgot to wipe the car down after cutting the panel lines into the primer. So on both sides we have fish eyes in the paint (maybe we will try to fix these later). Next we applied the decals…

We then started the wheel and axle prep. Noah polished the axles and the wheel bores and lightly sanded the wheel tread. We painted the wheels silver… We are making a set of the black hubcaps for the car but we cannot have anything covering the wheels for inspection, so they will be removable, and not used while racing.

This year Noah decided we would be the FLAG racing team, so we needed to come up with a logo:

Here are some pictures from the race:

It seems that KITT is indeed fast it took second in the Webelo II group (out of 7 boys), 4th in the Pack (29 cars). Noah also received a design award for “Coolest Looking Car”.

But that is not the only thing we made for this years derby. Stay tuned for more…

restored pictures 1/4/17
Last edited by ah8tk on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: 2010 KITT

Post by Go Bubba Go »

VERY, VERY NICE WORK!

I continue to greatly appreciate both your work and your willingness to share the in-process pics.

Regards,

Bubba

p.s. Nice Semi!!!
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

WoW!!! Very nice!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

This family, certainly impresses upon me, everytime I see there great work !

Truely awesome.

Sporty
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Thanks so much for sharing photos of both the construction process (with your son very much involved) and the finished car. It is a work of art!
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

You continue to amaze!
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

Gees, you guys are machines! I know a few car companies that can use your attention to detail :)

I really enjoyed the process photos, I regret not getting these shots of my Son. For you Dad's just starting out...take note...the time goes so fast.

Fantastico!
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

Having in process photos is great for the memories (which in my case is not so long , at this point) It also helps if you had questions on how you did that previously. Take plenty of pictures…
Aron
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Aron »

Wow that is impressive! I dig the lights too! Are you going to make the KITT Mustang next?
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

No plans to build the Mustang, at this point (wasn’t too excited about the Mustang KITT, even though I am a Ford guy).

We are going to build a new car for the district race, something with a longer wheelbase. I think the KITT car does not have much more speed to be gained with its short wheelbase and the weight being in the center (towards the back) with the electronics in it. My son is formulating plans (he says that it needs to resemble KITT). So we purchased some Hot Wheels with the wheels close to the corners so he can make some plans for the new car. I keep thinking it will look like the KITT hot rod.

He also told me it has to have fenders, we always build cars with fenders… This will be our first extended wheelbase car.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Sweeet....
PhantomVirus
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: 2010 KITT Pinewood Car

Post by PhantomVirus »

Thanks for sharing this - extremely well done and it really get me thinking - I should just outsource my build to you - fantastic work - seriously!

Ron
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Great job,

Andy & Noah,

It's really good to see you and your son haveing so much fun building
cars and memorys that will last a life time.
And shareing your tip's like you do.

It's all part of the learning together that make's this event fun.

As someone who missed out on this event with my father.
And as someone who is still missing out because of not haveing a child
in Scouting.

I've really come to truely enjoy it.
Because of guy's like you.

Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

whodathunkit wrote:And as someone who is still missing out because of not haveing a child
in Scouting.
This is easily remedied. Volunteer with a local Cub Pack, register with BSA through the pack, and get the Youth Protection training. Then "adopt" a family (or several), perhaps some single parent Cubs, not all necessarily from that pack. Then have fun guiding some youngsters.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Stan Pope wrote:
This is easily remedied. Volunteer with a local Cub Pack, register with BSA through the pack, and get the Youth Protection training. Then "adopt" a family (or several), perhaps some single parent Cubs, not all necessarily from that pack. Then have fun guiding some youngsters.
Now Stan, That's a very good idea.

I all ready travel up to 4o miles to help a pack out in Kansas.
Thay have really took me under there wings to help out with there
pinewood derby events & work shops many times.
And i really like helping that pack out. ( great group of kids! )

But I just don't stop with that one pack.
I like to help out as many packs in my area as I can with this event.
But you are right I should register with BSA Through a pack.
And get the training, I have thought of this many times now.

Stan, you've talked me in to it! I'm going to look into this soon..
Mark.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?