Outer Hub Step Removal Tool

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Outer Hub Step Removal Tool

Post by Stan Pope »

Another homemade tool to help your Cub tame those BSA Wheels: http://www.stanpope.net/OuterHubStepRemovalTool.htm
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Outer Hub Step Removal Tool

Post by whodathunkit »

:driving: GO STAN...GO!!!

Some of the best tools are homemade..
And Poor people may have poor ways.. but you have set the bar!
with this outer hub tool. :bigups: :bigups: :bigups: :bigups: :bigups:
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

Amazing. You're making me feel like I do when I watch Norm Abrahm work in his New Yankee Workshop. I can't make his jigs, let alone the project the jig was supporting.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

I think that there is a "Pro" tool that does this function. I haven't seen one (or even a picture of one), but I'm sure that there are many similarities ("form following function", and all that). I chose not to involve the bore for locating to avoid damage. That is why a drill press and a holding fixture are important to usage. If this version were "hand operated", a pin to locate the mill would probably be needed. I was not able to use the bit "by hand" ... it wanted to pop out sideways.

Whatever the case, this is a fun project to assign to a mini-lathe.

I'll add some pictures to the page showing more of the drill press setup and operation ... but I wanted to get this out were guys could use it if so inclined.
Stan
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Stan Pope wrote:I think that there is a "Pro" tool that does this function. I haven't seen one (or even a picture of one)
:o Really? Called the "Pro-Outer-Hub Shaver":

it slides onto the end of the so-called "Pro-Hub Tool":

Unlike your design, it does use the bore for locating. (Photos courtesy of MaxV.)
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Thanks for showing those pics, FS! Different philosophy in cutting and locating features, similar philosophy in stopping feature.

Even for guys who don't have a mini-lathe of their own, this would be a good project to take along when visiting a friend who has such a lathe! A way to "get a taste" and to bring home a useful result.
Stan
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Stan Pope wrote:Even for guys who don't have a mini-lathe of their own, this would be a good project to take along when visiting a friend who has such a lathe!
Or a project that offers one more reason to buy a lathe! ;)
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

FatSebastian wrote:
Stan Pope wrote:Even for guys who don't have a mini-lathe of their own, this would be a good project to take along when visiting a friend who has such a lathe!
Or a project that offers one more reason to buy a lathe! ;)
The thought was in the back of my mind, but I wasn't going to "push that button." :)
Stan
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I made a tool like that two years ago.

We modified the pro hub tool also. To do ours.

Quadad, woodworx, me and i beleive murken all have one.

I also shared my process with derbyworx a few years ago, in hopes he would sell one.

We also made one to make another lip. this one is right there around the whole of the bore. versus farther out. Slightly reducing friction, by a smaller lip. versus a larger one, that covers a tad bit more of axle head surface.

Sporty
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

sporty wrote:I made a tool like that two years ago.
Cool! I missed seeing where you posted the info about it!
Stan
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I think I posted it, not sure where or when. It could have also been one of those little things that was shared with just a few.

Many of the team sporty members worked everyday for many hours. tinkering and trying a ton of stuff. Some of which was very successfull. Things were not always posted, because at the time we were trying to win in adult racing. Which is not something that is so much allowed here to go into.

I know I was like working 4 to 6 hours a day on cars. everyday for several months. which led to ughh. Im done.

When you work so hard to reach break thru's and improvements that are edge setting. It does take time for one to want to release it all or share it with everyone. Until really, its no longer used and something better has or was found.

Then rules come into play. No point in going into a area, where 90% of scout packs are not going to allow those types of mods on the car. let alone people having lathes and all sorts of stuff.

Then there is stuff you tinker with and others are also or did it before you and they do not share it so easily either. It's real easy to get into the cross hairs of a debate or disaster. When posting and sharing stuff. If I type it wrong. I could have people offended with me. And we all know I am not a very good typer or speller.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Stan - ideally you would have a slight cone vice a flat outer hub - with a very slight lip in the center to stabilize the wheel.

I'm not sure how to modify your tool to do that but if you put a bevel on the cutting edge it would make the cone. Then if you had a flat one you could cut the top of the cone off to make the lip.

I'm sure you could come up with something simpler that could remove the step and cone with a lip in one process ;)
VWAffe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by VWAffe »

*5 J's* wrote:Stan - ideally you would have a slight cone vice a flat outer hub - with a very slight lip in the center to stabilize the wheel.

I'm not sure how to modify your tool to do that but if you put a bevel on the cutting edge it would make the cone. Then if you had a flat one you could cut the top of the cone off to make the lip.

I'm sure you could come up with something simpler that could remove the step and cone with a lip in one process ;)
I hand-filed and honed our DerbyWorx hub shaver tool to cut the hub face flat per the original design, but it would be relatively easy to modify it to cone the hub face with a small flat nearest to the axle... good idea! That would negate needing to drastically cone the axle heads to achieve the same effect!

To make the hub facing process easier, we duct tape the Hub Shaver to the Hub Tool, chuck the whole mess in a drill... power hub shaver!
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Power Hub Shaver?
The regular one only takes a few turns... I can just see some Cub in the workshop powering through the entire hub section and ruining his wheel. Wow.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

rpcarpe wrote:Power Hub Shaver?
The regular one only takes a few turns... I can just see some Cub in the workshop powering through the entire hub section and ruining his wheel. Wow.
My fear, too! That fear gave rise to the "stop" adjustable with a set screw.
Stan