1/16 inset front wheel...anything to know?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
davidwilkie
Pine Head
Pine Head

1/16 inset front wheel...anything to know?

Post by davidwilkie »

Based on tips here in DT (thank you) my son and I opted to go for the 3-wheeler rail-rider. We trimmed the right side at an angle such that the right front wheel axle (we have to use original axle slots) is 1/16" inset narrower. That side is cut perfectly straight (we cut it on a table saw by mounting the car at a slight angle on a sliding board). Anything we need to know / do in dealing with the wheels in that side? Presumably both the front and rear wheels on that side could touch the body on their rearward (following) rim since the side is obviously slightly further out toward back. Any tips appreciated!
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: 1/16 inset front wheel...anything to know?

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

I take off 1/16th to 3/23" of an inch starting at the front bumber and going to an inch behind the front axle.
W Racing!!!!
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

I may be confused, but is your RR front wheel site cut at an angle from the table saw?
Or is that wheel able to be mounted straight with the track?
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

I assume 3/23 you meant 3/32?
davidwilkie
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by davidwilkie »

I ran a straight cut but marking 1/16" in where the axle slot is (we must use that groove) and a straight line from the very back right corner of the through the line 1/16" in and cut that on a table saw, so that side (the right side) of the car is perfectly straight. The car is already painted at this point, so there's no going back (check-in is Friday) to run the cut parallel to the wheel(s) with the appropriate bend. I guess we'll just see how it goes?!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

davidwilkie wrote:I ran a straight cut but marking 1/16" in where the axle slot is (we must use that groove) and a straight line from the very back right corner of the through the line 1/16" in and cut that on a table saw, so that side (the right side) of the car is perfectly straight. The car is already painted at this point, so there's no going back (check-in is Friday) to run the cut parallel to the wheel(s) with the appropriate bend. I guess we'll just see how it goes?!
That should be fine!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"