Hello, new member

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Hello, new member

Post by Stan Pope »

resullivan wrote:I have a question about a RR. Our rules state: "All four wheels must be intended to ride flat, not angled or altered, on the track." I take this to mean no camber. My car is a 3 wheeled car. My question is should I bring in the DW like is done with a RR? I don't think I can bend the axels based on this rule, but by chance or luck may be able to get some of the effect of a RR. I know without the camber the car will not stay on the rail. It is the DW and you bring it in 1/16th correct?
I disagree with any rule which imposes on the inspector the necessity to gage "intent." But aside from that...

RR does NOT require camber! Those are two totally separate performance concepts which, happily, work well together.

RR works with just DFW toe-in. Adjustment by bending the axle more or less by hand or by twisting a slightly bent axle are fine. The required angle for optimum toe-in is much smaller than many assume ... 2 inches of drift on a 4' test board (41" travel) of a car with stock wheelbase needs only about 0.6 degrees of toe-in! That 2" of drift inflates to 9-1/2" on an 8' board! (Computations per http://www.stanpope.net/driftcomp.htm" target="_blank)

I suspect that a wheel on an axle with 0.6 degrees of camber would lie flat on the inspection table, (although it might lift just a bit once it gets rolling.)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

It is the DFW that is the RR correct? And toe-in is the bend up?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Been rail riding for a few years with 4 on the ground, you can do it with 1 degree of cant on the RR.

Example:

RR wheel, just toe in about 1.5 degrees.

non dom, 4th wheel, just toe out about 3/4 degree.

Slight bent axle will do the job just fine.

Also nice looking car, welcome to DT.

I did not have time today to read all the posts. So can't comment on to much.

Sporty
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

resullivan wrote:It is the DFW that is the RR correct? And toe-in is the bend up?
RR applies toe-in to DFW!
Toe-in is "bend forward". Toe angle is measured in the horizontal plane; camber is measured in the vertical plane.
Stan
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

So in addition to the DFW having toe-in, it should also be 1/16th inside the wheel behind it? So the DFW will ride on the rail while the back two do not?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

resullivan wrote:So in addition to the DFW having toe-in, it should also be 1/16th inside the wheel behind it? So the DFW will ride on the rail while the back two do not?
Right!!!
Stan
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

Finished hiding the weights and put the first coat of paint on. Might be in trouble on total weight. Without paint it is at 4.97. Not sure what I am going to do.

Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

resullivan wrote:Finished hiding the weights and put the first coat of paint on. Might be in trouble on total weight. Without paint it is at 4.97. Not sure what I am going to do.

Presume that the 4.97 includes the wheels and axles! :)

The rails seem kinda thick so you have a few hundredths available there!

Could also trim the tips off the nails, too.

FYI, I tell my pups to aim for a "finished weight" about 4.8 and the glue on a small "trim weight" where it makes the car fastest. It allows a small amount of CM adjustment at the last minute. But that advice appears to be a bit late!
Stan
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

I put a couple coats of paint and the decals on and it is at 4.99 (including axels and wheels). Just won't be able to add clear coat.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

resullivan wrote:Just won't be able to add clear coat.
You can avoid finishing the underside (or if it is already painted, you can sand it off and return to primer).
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

We did not even put primer on it. We did paint the bottom, but with only one coat. The second coat was only on the top side. The paint was a really good spray paint from hobby lobby. As much as we would have liked to really make it shine, I can't say I am dissapointed with a .02 - .03 ounce paint job considering we are more worried about speed than looks.

I did think about adding a quick spray of the clear to finish out the last .01, but I am just concerned it would make it overweight as my scale only goes to .01, and I think our pack and district scales go to .001.
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

In most cases if you are over weight you drill some holes into the wood. But with your car there does not look to be anyplace where you could drill a hole. I guess between the front wheels there might be some wood. The hole does not usually go all the way through and is done from the bottom.

We shoot for being a little underweight and then use some lead putty to get the weight to where we need it. I believe the lead putty is now available as tungsten putty but I don't really think there is any tungsten in it. Maybe tungsten powder? I don't like the the new stuff as much as it is more tacky than the old lead putty. But it is probably safer.
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

Last year I bought an ounce of those tiny tungston disks and just taped them to the bottom. Will probably do the same thing this year.
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

Here are some pictures of the final outcome along side last years.

geauxturbo
Pine Head
Pine Head

Hello, new member

Post by geauxturbo »

If you want, you can argue significant digits. 5 oz is techincally 5.4 oz or less. 5.0 oz is 5.04 oz or less. So see what the rules say and go from there. Their scale can go to .0000001 oz but if the rules state 5.0 you are good to 5.0499999. Our rules state 5.000 oz. So we have no wiggle room.

BTW, sweet car :mrgreen: