What does this rule mean?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
FifthRig
Apprentice
Apprentice

What does this rule mean?

Post by FifthRig »

My two girls are participating in their first PowderPuff Derby.

One of my girls would like to make a rail rider but we have the following rule:

Please remember to use the wheels and axels provided in the car kit. The only modifications allowed are removal of mold lines and burs; you may not machine or reshape the wheels or axels in any way.

Will this prevent us from making a rail rider? Other than this there is no rule specifying all wheels must be used and there is no rule that all wheels must touch the track.

Is bending the axels considered machining or reshaping? Is putting a mirror finish on the axels as many have described on these forums allowed within this rule? What about liquid glass in the bore?

What exactly can I do within this rule?

Thanks.

Aaron
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: What does this rule mean?

Post by Stan Pope »

A reasonable interpretation is that you can perfect the tread area and axles, but not by cutting away more than a trace of material. So Polishing should be both allowed and encouraged.

Look at the axles closely and see if they are exactly straight already. If not, you may already have the bend needed. If they are exactly straight, then you may have to rely on drilling axle paths into the wood. Or, you may be allowed to bend them slightly.

It is legal to ask those who enforce the rules if specific work plans are legal.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

These are pretty typical rules and my interpretation would be that rail riding would be fine. Rail riding can be done in a variety of different ways including just not straightning the axle and use the bend that is naturally there but direct it so it cause the car to turn in the desired direction.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

FifthRig wrote:Is bending the axles considered machining or reshaping?
As Stan notes, depending on the source (not sure what brand kit you are using) some axles may come bent out of the box. So, is straightening a bent axle "reshaping"? Technically perhaps, but I doubt the intent is to disallow such remedies. Rather, I would think that the intent of disallowing "machining or reshaping" was to forbid grooving or lathing, instead of bending. I would therefore ask the race organizer as to whether bending is allowed.

Polishing an axle would not seem to be disallowed regardless.
Nate
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Nate »

If you do find that bending the axles is a violation, you can also make it ride the rail by shimming the axles in their holes. I use some sharp fine sandpaper (320 grit wet/dry or about 180 normal is great) with the grit facing the wood. Works really well.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

FifthRig wrote:Please remember to use the wheels and axels provided in the car kit. The only modifications allowed are removal of mold lines and burs; you may not machine or reshape the wheels or axels in any way.

... What exactly can I do within this rule?
I disapprove of this kind of rule, unless they just want a carving and decoration contest. Call the person in charge, play by the rules as they interpret them. And let them know that kids can understand the difference between what comes in the box (nails) and what they need to race with (axles).

Good Luck!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.