Unlimited class next year- what are my opions since I'm new

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
cubmasterbob
Journeyman
Journeyman

Unlimited class next year- what are my opions since I'm new

Post by cubmasterbob »

I was told today at our regional match that next year they plan on having an "unlimited" class...this was after I asked if I could build a duct fan powered car to wow the kids. Now that I have card blanche, what are my options for building the fastest thing on wheels? Since there are no rules I'm looking for the wildest/fastest ideas to go with.
I ask you, the pros, since this was my 1st year of building a pinewood car since I was a kid.{I'm now 47 and I have a far better allowance!}
Help!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Unlimited class next year- what are my opions since I'm

Post by Speedster »

cubmasterbob, Nothing can beat the McDonalds car in the picture, certainly no fan powered vehicle. It is basically a Radio Controlled slot car. I've raced numerous fans, including my own. McDonalds will cross the finish line as the fans are reaching the horizontal run. The longer your track the more fun it would be. If someone designed a CO 2 rocket that has an automatic start, and stays on the track, that might beat you. I've never encountered one of those yet and we do not allow fire or rockets in our race. The problem with Mickey-D is getting it stopped so you don't destroy it. I have 24' of track to get it shut down. If you face nothing but fans you don't have to worry. You wouldn't have to run it all that fast and you can throw it in reverse as you near the finish line to slow it down. Joeracer, who recently registered with DT, beats me sometimes because he's younger than I am and his reaction time is quicker but he has moved to California and is no longer a threat to me. The Smiler, as we call it, is nearly as fast as the McDonalds car and looks more like a Pinewood Derby car but the scouts love the McDonald's car. The car can be built for less than $200.00 if ebay is used.
If this is of interest to you, please email me and I'll give you all the details.
Cheers
SpeedsterImage
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

cubmasterbob wrote:what are my options for building the fastest thing on wheels?
I would note a rocket car as "the fastest thing on wheels," except it has all the issues of impracticability that Speedster notes (inability to stop, sequencing the launch with the starting gate, inability to stay on the track, possible fire hazard, etc.)
cubmasterbob
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by cubmasterbob »

-Speedster, is that an AMT slot car with RC?..looks like it from the wheels.
I briefly mused the new BSA CO2 set up but I believe they'll be only running a standard{to us} 32' track....I will have to check that as the CO2 cars require something around 300'!
-FatSabastian, I've got some spare A engines laying around here somewhere....but like you said, I think the fire issue would come into play!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

The RC parts which are the radio, speed control, modified motor, 7.2 volt Nickel Metal Hydride battery are from a modified Losi Mini-T RC car. The chassis was built from square brass tubing to fit the Revell Funny Car Body. Front wheels were Awana on McD's and BSA on the blue car. Slot car parts were the motor mount, rear axle, ring gear, and rear tires. I bought 8 of these cars over a period of time on ebay for the kids in the neighborhood to play with. You can usually get a modified car, hopefully with a battery charger, for around $100.00. The body is strictly for looks. I built an Ark for a young man who's name was Noah. That has got to be the fastest Ark on earth. Losi has 6 channels for this car. If you have a 6 lane track you can race 6 of these against each other. Great Fun!!
SpeedsterImage
cubmasterbob
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by cubmasterbob »

Speedster wrote:The RC parts which are the radio, speed control, modified motor, 7.2 volt Nickel Metal Hydride battery are from a modified Losi Mini-T RC car. The chassis was built from square brass tubing to fit the Revell Funny Car Body. Front wheels were Awana on McD's and BSA on the blue car. Slot car parts were the motor mount, rear axle, ring gear, and rear tires. I bought 8 of these cars over a period of time on ebay for the kids in the neighborhood to play with. You can usually get a modified car, hopefully with a battery charger, for around $100.00. The body is strictly for looks. I built an Ark for a young man who's name was Noah. That has got to be the fastest Ark on earth. Losi has 6 channels for this car. If you have a 6 lane track you can race 6 of these against each other. Great Fun!!
SpeedsterImage
I have the same RC car set up{1100 mah 7.2v} but with the VW dune buggy body! I'll have to see what else I can pirate the RC gear from as I'd hate to loose that squirrely lil car...too fun to drive. The 3 other transmitters I have are all "air" since I'm a retired park flyer...too many complaints from neighbors and too many crashes cause I couldn't wait for a calm enough day.
I've also been looking for an excuse to get one of those newly re-released 1/24 scale slot cars...looks like I may have found one!
Now, where did I put that spare E-Flight 400 outrunner motor?......
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

If you have a Mini-T with a modified motor, You Are There. Those are the expensive parts. You won't lose the car. The electronics are all held on the chassis and roof of the Dodge with double face tape. When your derby is over simply take the electronics out of the drag car and put them in your Mini-T. It would probably be easier to buy a new motor and leave the one in the drag car so you don't have to disassemble the rear end parts. The car is going to ride the rail. You'll want to use the full wheel up against the rail because it will have a nice straight edge.
Good Luck. I'm eager to see the finished product.
Speedster
cubmasterbob
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by cubmasterbob »

Speedster wrote:If you have a Mini-T with a modified motor, You Are There. Those are the expensive parts. You won't lose the car. The electronics are all held on the chassis and roof of the Dodge with double face tape. When your derby is over simply take the electronics out of the drag car and put them in your Mini-T. It would probably be easier to buy a new motor and leave the one in the drag car so you don't have to disassemble the rear end parts. The car is going to ride the rail. You'll want to use the full wheel up against the rail because it will have a nice straight edge.
Good Luck. I'm eager to see the finished product.
Speedster
Ok, I can do that! What'd you use for a motor?...trinity? I may hit you up for the dimensions for that chassis, but I could probably wing it...wish AMT sold just the slot chassis since I have plenty of plastic cars kits - may have to send them an email.
You use normal pinewood wheel base or extend alot...or alittle?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I can't make out the name on the motor but they're all fast. Winning usually depends on reaction time when you're racing another one of these. The car covers the track in about a second.
Overall length of tubing is 4 3/4", notched in about 1/2" from the end to bolt motor mounts. Motor mounts were used on both ends. I think 6/32" threaded rod was used for front axle. Inside dimension of tubing is 1". Motor mounts will dictate this. Wheelbase is 5 3/16". Kit body dictates this. I think the rear axle is 3/32" slot car axle. The motor has press on gears. I used the smallest ring gear and the tallest slot car tires so the ring gear would clear the center guide strip. I also glued Broccoli rubber bands on the rear tires to give a little added lift. I think you will find slot car bodies won't give you enough room for all the items you need to install. Revell made 2 Funny car kits, the Pontiac Firebird and the Dodge Avenger. The Dodge gives a little more room in the roof and that is the one I prefer. The only soldering is to extend the wire from the speed control. This enables you to plug it into the battery. When the chassis is finished I simply attach the body to it using small blocks of wood and double face tape. The battery is taped to the underside rear of the roof of the body. I cut one front wheel down so the car would fit the track and the front wheels would be under the body. I held a hacksaw blade against the wheel as the wheel spun in my drill press to cut the wheel.
I stand 1/2 way down a 32' track to control the car and therefore need only a 2" antenna on the car. Ask any question. I'd love to see pictures of your car going together.
SpeedsterImage
cubmasterbob
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by cubmasterbob »

Speedster wrote: Ask any question. I'd love to see pictures of your car going together.
I will do that....on no doubt "both" aspects!
I'll get the chassis set up in the near future and then go body hunting thru the model stash or try jimmy flintstone for something...perhaps my resin 1/25 scale dodge a100 van for a gotham city parachute pickup service?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Beware of the width. You don't have much room before you interfere with the car next to you. I use Channel 5 - Green, in McDonalds and I can't get it out without tearing the car apart. Perhaps you could choose another channel. I sense a trip to Illinois in my future. Ha, Ha.
Good Luck.
Cheers
Speedster
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

I put this in another post, but here is a CO2 car:

https://youtu.be/vbD1X3rDZ60
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

World Record?!? Seems rather an outlandish and unverifiable claim. Very cool car, nonetheless.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
cubmasterbob
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by cubmasterbob »

Wow, someone has a whole lot of spare time on their hands to build that!
Why a dual outlet though...I'd question better thrust with a single outlet, but maybe he was shooting for a tamer solution.
BSA has the new CO2 pine cars kits out...I'd like to get one just to see how they are set up.
cubmasterbob
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by cubmasterbob »

Speedster, what chassis did you use? Looks like the new AMT kits are sidewinders compared to your center gear...I'd be afraid of track center guide interference. I saw an EJ's frame last night that looks good....there's probably others.