Firet time drilling axel holes-question

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Firet time drilling axel holes-question

Post by Speedster »

OK Sporty, I found a spot on the new Chinese nail near the head that mic's out at .0895. Should I sand the nail very lightly with 3000 grit wet and leave one side of the hub ride on the .0895 while the rest of the shaft is .086 or should I use Max V's 4094 axle that measures .087 all the way up the shaft?
chromegsx
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by chromegsx »

sporty wrote:Unless you are refering to not having the axle whole lined up to each other on opposite sides ? d if so, this is something you dont want to do, because one wheel is going to hit the slope before the other, and thats going to cause that added speed from the first wheel to hit it to cause the car to shift, which is loosing some of its max potential energy.
And in one quick sentence, sporty solved a problem for me. :idea: I did this last year (first time 3 wheelin') and had a fairly severe turn the wrong way on the curve section. Severe enough that I think the raised wheel would come over and touch the rail. I was thinking it would provide better stability and saw it on a few cars before (not the fast ones though)

Now I wonder how much time we lost on this. Probably not a whole car length but a half may have put us in 3rd or 2nd.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Chromegsx

Glad something I said, was able to give that ah hah moment and help you.

Speedster, my good friend. Thats a good question. i think it warrant a try and test it out, I think you have a track and timer and I would try it. and try it without it and see if there is a differance. i am thinking if done right, it should help in some small part.

Sporty
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Good Advice. Will Do.
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Shawn Stebleton »

We use the Pro Body tool to keep the rear axles perfectly inline with each other. There isn't any stagger like seen on the Go Ask Grandpa site. If too snug, we narrow the car body just enough to allow the tool to be angled a very small amount (I haven't measured it, but maybe two or three degrees). Some car bodies are already narrow enough. A good clamp holds it securely in place while drilling takes place. We can't narrow our front end 1/16", so we came up with another way to accomplish the same thing. The rears do get kept off the rail.
Shawn