surprise!

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

surprise!

Post by davet »

My boy and I turned down a standard BSA block into a missile from a BSA kit given to us at our Pack Meeting. While cutting slits in the side for some "quivers" at the tail I found a nail or some piece of shiny steel. It's running vertically inline with the rear axle slot and about 3/8" in from the side. Any answers for me?
Ickabod
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: surprise!

Post by Ickabod »

Get a new block....
There are only two seasons: baseball season and The Void. - Jonathan Yardley
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

We're too far into this one. 1st paint color is on already and race is Saturday.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

As we were turning it down I noticed too a length of what appears to be wood filler. It runs front to back on the side of our missile. It's about 3" long and up to 3/8" wide at it's widest. It wasn't until we got it turned down to about 1 3/8" diameter that I began to see it. It's not in a structural part of the car so I left it. I really should sand the paint off to expose the filler and open up the metal piece then send photo to whoever makes the kit.

Anyone know the process for making these blocks? It's almost like the block split at one point and it was repaired but the outer material was fine.

I just pulled the box out of the bag. It says PWD on the face and "Official Equipment-Boy Scouts of America" on the back. Item #17006 on bar-code. Can't do anything about it now just wondering if this is common.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

davet wrote:It's almost like the block split at one point and it was repaired but the outer material was fine.
:thinking: It would make no sense for BSA to try and "repair" individual pine blocks. Can you rule out that someone began working on the block and then decided to return it "repaired" with the box glued back shut?
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Sounds like a blade broke while processing and the metal stayed in the wood.
If there's no time to re-start, just leave it and go with the flow?

Good Luck!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
jzarvey
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by jzarvey »

Or there was a nail that put into the tree and was overgrown. After many years the nail became part of the tree and ended up in your block.
Jim
aka jzarvey

Chief Engineer (aka Dad)
Gold Standard Racing
chromegsx
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by chromegsx »

jzarvey wrote:Or there was a nail that put into the tree and was overgrown. After many years the nail became part of the tree and ended up in your block.
Usually this results in a bluish dark grey area of grain that's very visible when you cut through timber. should be easily viewble on a derby block unless they get bleached or something.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

I can't rule out the repaired block idea. I didn't examine it that close out of the box. It looked square all around. I didn't have any trouble with slitting at all during shaping. It's one of those things. We're ready for tomorrow's race and I'm content with that. Thanks.