For outlaw, how much weight is too much weight?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
DerbyNut
Pine Head
Pine Head

For outlaw, how much weight is too much weight?

Post by DerbyNut »

The pack has decided to make a one pound weight for the parent/sibling race. Is there a point where the weight will be too much on the wheels and axles and slowing the car down? How can I determine what the right weight is to make it go the fastest? I guess I can test with different weight amounts sitting on top of the car to find out.

Thanks!
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: For outlaw, how much weight is too much weight?

Post by rpcarpe »

That issue has come up before... I watched my brother run a steel wedge with four wheels. My conventional 5oz car beat it!
Yes, you can overload the journal bearing that make up your plastic wheel and nail/axle.

The number I remember, for standard sized cars was around 7oz. Your track length and shape will also play a role in optimum max weight.

If you get to test, start at 5oz and then add weight (keeping in mind your COG) until speed drops and then fine tune it.

Good Luck!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
DerbyNut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyNut »

Thanks for that reply. I do have a track to test with so I'll do that starting with 5 ounces and work my way up hoping it will be about 7 ounces like you said. Last year I taped a couple sockets to the top of a car to get near one pound but that was probably too heavy.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

DerbyNut wrote:Is there a point where the weight will be too much on the wheels and axles and slowing the car down? How can I determine what the right weight is to make it go the fastest?
You might find this thread, this thread, and this thread of interest. (There are other related topics, too.)
Rukkian
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rukkian »

We had an outlaw race at our old pack, and one of the dad's made "the bomb" which was a 2 lb steel weight ontop of a thin car. It was beat by the best of the standard cars, but had a ton of momentum, so if the track was really long, it probably would have won. The first time it ran, it hit the end of the track hard enough that it got through the skid plate, and hit the foam at the end (which had a bolt through it to keep it on) and got a 1/2 gouge taken out of the front of the car from the bolt. The wheels and axels held up fine, it just didn't want to stop and was not that fast.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

7oz to 8oz seems to work well. Sometimes you can go heavier, but it thin gets tricky. as the weight. friction begin to come into play.

Sporty