Rear axel @ 5/8"" from rear

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Ickabod Crane
Journeyman
Journeyman

Rear axel @ 5/8"" from rear

Post by Ickabod Crane »

our pack has a Best track with a pretty abrupt curve at the bottom. Given that we must stay at the standard wheelbase, is there any danger of the extened front end coming in contact with the rail/track? The nose of the car just sticks way out ther with the wheel base slid all the way to the rear.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Rear axel @ 5/8"" from rear

Post by Speedster »

We haven't hit anything yet. Perhaps someone with a personal track, or access to one, might take a car slowly thru the curve and see how close it comes to hitting anything.
Ickabod Crane
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ickabod Crane »

I heard that Best Track changed their curve a little while ago. Didn't know if this was the reason.
There were a few cars last year that popped wheelies at the bottom of the curve.
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

Should not be a problem at all.
W Racing!!!!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Our District's Best track is 3 years old. We run a 3/4" COM. No wheelies.
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Shawn Stebleton »

Don't worry about the front end dragging on the new style Best Track curve. It's been around for 10 seasons, now and since your district track is only 3 years old, it should be the new style.

My younger son's Tiger Cub year car was a plank with standard wheelbase and rear end chopped off with front extended, as you describe, and he ran on a Best Track without issue.

Don't worry about the front end dragging.

The wheelies are coming from the mass not being concentrated enough front-to-back. Remove all the wood you can from underneath and put the weights around the back axle. We used tungsten plates from MaxV. There are 8 here--three in each of two stacks and two in the remaining stack. I don't remember offhand which had only two, but I think it was the most forward one. I think the COM was around 3/4" for this car. Might have been 5/8" or in between the two.

It was a "DOMIN8R", too, as it won first in our district for Tiger Cubs that year. 8)
Shawn
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

So,
The REAL Question is about an extended nose hitting the curve on the track?

If the above pictured Domin8R didn't have a nose problem, you shouldn't as well.
Test it if possible, shave the under side of the nose if needed.

Good Luck!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Shawn Stebleton »

Ickabod Crane wrote:our pack has a Best track with a pretty abrupt curve at the bottom.
Do you have access to the track? See or ask someone if it is about 4' long (almost all curve) or about 7' long (about 2' curve and 5' straight).

If it is 4' long, it is the new, less sharp curve. The less sharp curve definitely causes no problems. If it is 7' long, it is the old, really sharp curve.

If it is the really sharp curve, I would bevel the bottom of front end to be safe. This one wasn't beveled much (at most 3/16" removed) and it fit just fine. My son won first in district this year with this car on the really sharp curve track.
Shawn
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Our District's Best track is 3 years old. We run a 3/4" COM. No wheelies
I second Speedster. Ran my extended front end car with 3/4 COM on Best track with no issues! Smooth sailing.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Ickabod Crane
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ickabod Crane »

Ran the pack race this weekend on the Best Track. The leading edge of the car cleared the curve of the Best Track by the slimmest of margins. All three of our cars performed well. We ran a 3/4" COM on all three cars My youngest son was thrilled to beat Dad again in the finals of the Parents and Siblings division for the second year in a row. My Bear Cub took first in den and Pack. My thanks go out to Sporty for his tips and guidance. We still have much to learn about drilling axel holes but are making progress. On to district!