Marking axles: where to place mark

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.

Axle index mark when bending the axle downward: start at 12:00 or start at 6:00

12:00 position
62%
6:00 position
38%

Total votes: 13

TimInOhio
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Marking axles: where to place mark

Post by TimInOhio »

When bending axles, a lot has been written about marking the heads so that you can track your adjustments.

In the interest of comparing apples-to-apples, do you:
  • Place the mark at the 12:00 position then use a tool like the axle press to bend the head down.
    Place the mark at the 6:00 position then use a tool like the axle press to bend the head down.
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Marking axles: where to place mark

Post by Shawn Stebleton »

I think of the mark as an extension of the pointing down of the head. It helps me visualize and keep straight when I need to move or rotate the head forward or rearward.

With it marked at 12:00, I would fear that if I needed to rotate the axle head forward I would try to rotate the axle head to move the mark forward, which would actually move the axle head rearward.

By marking it at 6:00, rotating the mark forward moves the axle head forward. It keeps everything straight (well, except for the bend in the axle :lol: ).
Shawn
chromegsx
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by chromegsx »

I think I prefer the mark in direction of bend (don't use a press... trying to work toward not having to bend at all). It helps me keep straight which way the bend is and that what effect turning the axle "should" have on the alignment. If you don't get the desired effect then something else might be wrong.

Last year I tried putting the mark at the 12 position after aligned so I'd know if something got moved. but I prefer it marked in the direction of bend and rely on my memory of where the marks end up after tuning.

So before tuning after installed in car... marks in the rear are @ 12 and Fronts are @ 6 for me.
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Since I haven't tried canting the rears yet, my remarks above are for the DFW only.
Shawn
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Shawn Stebleton wrote:Since I haven't tried canting the rears yet, my remarks above are for the DFW only.
:offtopic:
Give serious consideration to giving ther rears some camber.

While track testing some new axles (0.096" X 2 micron) last night, I installed them on the rear of a left-over car from grandson's racing last year. Axle holes were drilled level with ProBody tool. Axles straight. Relatively wide gap ... approx. 1/16" Lubricated MaxV graphite. Verified rear alignment on my alignment board, then made 3 runs on a 4-section Freedom Track. Times better, and all within 0.001 seconds of each other.

Bent new axles at about 2.5 degrees, reinstalled with similar gap. Lubricated. Verified rear end alignment, and made 3 more runs. Times better, and all within 0.001 seconds of each other.

Tweaked rear alignment per track times, but could not improve the times.

Replaced the lifted wheel and axle with a bent wire peg about same weight as axle (0.03 oz). Times unchanged.

Compensated for reduced weight (0.09 oz weight of removed wheel) by taping 0.09 oz lead sheet to top rear edge of car. Times improved by several ms (about 8, I think). Since the car CM had been trimmed last year for limits of stability, the fact that the car remained stable (and gave good times) with this rearward shift of CM suggests that new axles would allow for more extreme CM location.

I will invite grandson to visit and teach him how to work BSA axles this way so that he can run 'em in the upcoming district derby. :)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
chromegsx
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by chromegsx »

Stan Pope wrote:...Bent new axles at about 2.5 degrees, reinstalled with similar gap. Lubricated. Verified rear end alignment, and made 3 more runs. Times better, and all within 0.001 seconds of each other.

Tweaked rear alignment per track times, but could not improve the times.

Replaced the lifted wheel and axle with a bent wire peg about same weight as axle (0.03 oz). Times unchanged.

Compensated for reduced weight (0.09 oz weight of removed wheel) by taping 0.09 oz lead sheet to top rear edge of car. Times improved by several ms (about 8, I think). ...
Interesting. I'm researching things that we might be able to do next year to improve... I haven't done the peg thing yet.

.008 across what distance? and what gains did you see with just the cant addition?
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

I like to make a mark all the way across the DFW - make a kgroove and then you can use a screwdriver to adjust steer. It's simply a slot cut across the axle. When you bend the axle - bend it along the same line as the groove.
Mr. Steve 316
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Mr. Steve 316 »

We start all wheels at 12:00. Then after adjustments clean and remark to 12:00 in case for some reason an axle needs to be pulled.
Keep Moving Forward!

Mr. Steve - Pack 316
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

chromegsx wrote: .008 across what distance? and what gains did you see with just the cant addition?
Oops! Sorry.

On a 4-section Freedom Track.
Notes not here ... told you all I could remember. :(
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Curse You Red Baron!
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Curse You Red Baron! »

12:00 works better for me when visualizing the impact of rotating the axle on the car's alignment.

However, related question, what do you use to mark it? I use a sharpie, which is ok, but it tends to rub off the polished surface if I'm not careful. I am wondering if another type of marker would make more sense? A grease pencil?
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Stan Pope wrote: :offtopic:
Give serious consideration to giving ther rears some
I will. There was a Tiger Cub in the race just before my son's that had a faster car. He will be in my son's group next year. That will be incentive for him to do better.
Curse You Red Baron! wrote:However, related question, what do you use to mark it? I use a sharpie, which is ok, but it tends to rub off the polished surface if I'm not careful. I am wondering if another type of marker would make more sense? A grease pencil?
We currently use a sharpie but are seriously considering using the rotary tool and a bit suitable for etching. A small dot or line will most certainly be ae to pass inspection in our district. It has the advantage of never rubbing off.
Shawn
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

If parents have time and ability, they'll make the axle head into a flat tip screwdriver head with the dremel or hacksaw blade.
Otherwise, we bend down with the mark at 6, down.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.