6 oz car? May need some suggestions...

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Oddzilla
Pine Head
Pine Head

6 oz car? May need some suggestions...

Post by Oddzilla »

A friend of mine asked for some help coming up with ideas for her sons car. From what she was telling me, her pack is allowing a 6 oz car this year for their derby. I'm having her confirm by getting the rules, but if in fact that is true, I'm not sure how to weight a car with an extra ounce to maximize it's performance.

Any thoughts or ideas or experience on it? I'm trying to get a picture of the car body he cut out (I've been told it's a thin design, so nto sure if it's a thin wedge or thin plank) so when I get that I'll post it for better information purposes.

Thanks!
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: 6 oz car? May need some suggestions...

Post by Noskills »

Oddzilla,

I have read that when you can use any weight for an outlaw that the sweetspot is around 7 oz. 6 oz should be pretty close to how you would make an agressive 5 oz car. For a super thin wedge I would think 2 oz behind the rear axel and 3 in front to create the COM you want, a less thin wedge should be 2 oz behind and 2-3 in front.

Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Oddzilla
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: 6 oz car? May need some suggestions...

Post by Oddzilla »

Just got the rules. It is 5 oz. Thought that was odd for a cub scout derby. :D

So no worries now. Onto the build! Well, info. It's all through email so we'll see how well the little guy does on it.