Geetting COM Under 1/2" ???

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Geetting COM Under 1/2" ???

Post by Speedster »

I'm getting conflicting opinions here that are making me nervous. Sporty sometime ago recommended 1 1/2 oz. behind the rear axle slot for a stock wheelbase car which is what we've been doing or fairly close. We didn't lose a race this year. I understand we don't really know what our competition is doing. Sporty is speaking from experience regardless of Physics. Does putting all that weight behind the rear axle slot on a stock wheelbase car do peculiar things to the car that are not to our benefit ? I think you're going to tell me to build 2 cars.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Speedster.

You have came a long way in a few years. Even tho you been doing it for years.

I'm glad the advice and builder experience I have, has allowed me to help you.
it sounds like a pretty good year for you and the kids.
all wins. Can't go wrong there..

I've helped many over the years. My stuff now. May not be the latest and greatest. But still gets you moving forward. Especially if you didn't do it in the past.

Some newer variables. Is the wax / oil process. Fender cars aswell.
more are running a different wheel base then stock. The 5 inch to 5 1/4 wheel base is the top going right now.

I have seen only a few run 2oz. In rear behind axle on stock wheel base and that was fender cars.

1 1/2 to 1 3/4. Nothing wrong with it. Good builders are always finding a way for more speed.
Last edited by sporty on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thanks Sporty.
We are required to use the 4 3/8" wheelbase. I saw my 1st fender car in our District, ever, this year. It was in our race, the Webelos 1. It was a light blue wafer car with Yellow fenders. It was beautiful and stuck out for the crowd. It made it to the 2nd track but did not finish in the top five out of eight. I don't know how it was built . The top 5 cars, except #2, were all my friends from our workshops. I shared all my supplies with them and all my knowledge (almost). Hey, one scout and I worked really hard for a long time. My Best track will be here soon and the weather is getting warmer. It will be interesting to see what happens between the two cars we will build.
Cheers
Bill
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Bill we won the district race last year with a stock wheelbase car with 1.5 oz behind the rear axel as per Sporty. Search under Stampy cat for the post. That was the name of the car...some video game thing.
So no physics just an anecdote.
Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Mr. Seth, I know you build Fast cars. That was brought to my attention when I had one of your cars in my garage here in Ohio. Good Job.

Topspin.D, what kind of test track did you get? Will you be racing this year? Please let us know how you do.
Cheers,
Bill
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Topspin.D »

Speedster... we didn't do well in our pack race this year. The kids in my den took 8 of top 10 spots... but the result was my sons were 7th and 9th place overall.... very disappointing.

We built new cars before districts (younger son was 2nd in rank so qualified automatically) and older son (as past champion was allowed to race). They finished #1 in both ranks (Wolf and Webelos) and finished #1 and #2 overall (both in all cubs race and all BSA race).

We built a test track sort of like the one in Troy Thorne's book (but 24 ft. long) 2 years ago. The first cars we tested the day of the pack race and could tell they weren't good. The district cars were only checked on the alignment board but not run on the track. Seemed to have worked out for us though...

Districts were really fast this year. 9 cars would've been fast enough to beat last year's champion.