How to affix mesh paper to carbon rod?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
davidwilkie
Pine Head
Pine Head

How to affix mesh paper to carbon rod?

Post by davidwilkie »

My sons are planning to try Sporty's bore prep method. We have the mesh paper with adhesive backing and the carbon rod. The rod is so small in diameter. Any tips in affixing it would be greatly appreciated!
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: How to affix mesh paper to carbon rod?

Post by *5 J's* »

I cut into thin strips - remove backing - then start rolling it around the rod. Once it is 3/4 of the way affixed I estimate how much more is needed to finish the wrap and cut off the excess with an X-acto knife then finish rolling.

Once completely wrapped I roll the rod back and forth on a hard surface to seal the edge and make sure I have good adhesion all the way around the rod.
davidwilkie
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by davidwilkie »

So like a candy cane?...actually, that makes no sense since the rod is so thin...I guess my question is whether the edges would stay affixed or peel up, but I guess they must stay down if that's how you're doing it.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I hope you like the results and will be pleased with it, A bit of a pain to make the them.

But I always thought the results were worth it.

I wrap it like I would roll up a sheet of paper. I start at one end, edge aka side. apply evenly, imagining a strait line, apply pressure and downforce. The wrap around, applying pressure as i wrap it. If when the to ends meet up, they are not lined up to one another and there is over lap.

I lay it on a flat surface and use a exacto knife to cut the extra off the one end that would over lap and then apply pressure.

I kind of tightly wrap it, as I apply pressure rolling it around the rod. Seems to stick better and so forth.

When you do the process, you should see shiny black ice looking bore.

Sporty
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

I tried sportys wrap method, but found I had cut the strip to small to complete the wrap around the shaft, so I proceeded to wrap it like a candy cane and it seemed to do well and was fairly easy to wrap.

Like Sporty always says, try it and find what works for you!

The bores definately look very very shiny....

We didn't use a drill to turn - just did them by hand while watching tv, progressing thru the grits.
davidwilkie
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by davidwilkie »

I posted a pic and video here...

http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7204

...seeking whether I'm doing this correctly or not