Making a VW Beetle

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
mokanmikey
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Making a VW Beetle

Post by mokanmikey »

Check out this picture post to get some ideas. It shows how I hollowed out the block, added fenders and hollowed roof for a NASCAR.
Good luck!

http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1350
Can we go camping yet?
RaceFan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by RaceFan »

Awesome concept! We want to locate a Le mans model kit and work with my son to make a pinewood version that we can use the decals on. It looks like that's what you guys did.

Your idea is the same way "Herbie" was constructed except I don't own a router & used a big drill bit to make holes and get rid of the weight. Your job is much neater. I covered the hole in the bottom with a balsa wood airplane wing painted black & nobody sees the carnage underneath.

Next time, I'm going to use balsa skirts since I think my son could work with it a little better with the sandpaper.

Thanks for the photos.
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

RaceFan,

with Balsa wood, it's going to be a little brittle so you will need to add some balsa sanding sealer for the strength. You can find this at most Hobby Store that sell model airplane kits.

Jim
RaceFan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by RaceFan »

Thanks for the advice about the balsa. My Wolf Cub, his sister, and my cars are looking better each year but we've got recurrent problems:

Testors model paint. Looks great, easy for the kids to spray on, causes quite a lot of "oohs & ahs" when we show up with them BUT the finish always gets ruined by the graphite! :( We need a more durable finish that still looks as good. Any suggestions?

Flimsy, easily damaged wheels What do you guys use to really cement those nails in place after everything's perfectly aligned? Loc-tite epoxy?

Sanding Sealer OK...I give up. What exactly is "sanding sealer"???? We're not talking about primer or a primer coat of paint are we?

Any tips are welcome. The kids & I are still learning how to make some good looking, durable, fast model cars and we've got a lot to learn. (I also should know since I'm a Den Leader!!! :D Thanks.[/u]