Weight placement on a 32ft to 54ft Track

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Scoremaker
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Weight placement on a 32ft to 54ft Track

Post by Scoremaker »

Okay need a little help here. I been reading alot of post here and I have seen alot of people asking where is the best place's to put your weights. The back the middle etc. Then you have track's that are 32ft long to 54ft long. Where is the best place to put the weights on those Tracks? I know everyone has a different place to put there weights. So let see if someone can tell us where is the best place's to put the weights on a 32ft Track and a 54ft Track.
Mike Doyle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Weight placement on a 32ft to 54ft Track

Post by Mike Doyle »

Here's my 2¢, for initial slope / transistion to flat tracks (most typical), put the weight in the back. Back weighting will maximize the potential energy available for conversion to kinetic energy (your weight is higher up the slope and thus can fall farther).

There are extreme track examples such as the 110 ft monster and "S" shaped tracks that my Sons and I have no experience running on, this advice should not be construed to work on every track type.

Center weighting is a safe compromise that may mask alignment issues, but nobody ever won it all by compromising :D

If you need further proof, just look at every winning WIRL design. :wink:
2kids10horses
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Weight placement on a 32ft to 54ft Track

Post by 2kids10horses »

Mike, I ditto your remarks.

I just ran on a 54' track at Council. We were fifth, and very rear weighted. The winner was, too.

There a guy there who told me he had the "perfect car for that long track" because it was mid weighted. He was adamant that mid weighting was the way to go on a long track.

He ran last.

So... I would build whatever design would give you maximum velosity coming off the transition. Great alignment and friction reduction will maintain that speed. The concensus here is that RailRiding - properly set up - works.

We're proud of our 5th place finish at Council. Our alignment was less than perfect. We don't have a track to tune on. We had some shimmy that I couldn't get rid of.

2K10H