Lube-DFW inside rim

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Lube-DFW inside rim

Post by Speedster »

I will be competing in a race on the 14th that is allowing oil and graphite. All proceeds go to the BSA. The track is a 4 lane aluminum track that is also used for the Commodore Perry District's final track. Beautiful track. This is my 1st time using oil. I'm wondering what lube is recommended for the inside rim of the DFW - oil, graphite, silicone, other? Anyone know what the oil experts use?
5oz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Lube-DFW inside rim

Post by 5oz »

I found some videos on youTube, I think would be helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/user/[no advertising for this vendor]/videos" target="_blank

I would suggest Teflon spacer of some kind. Built into the body or by use of Teflon washer. If you are using oil to lube, the Teflon will marry well with it and your wheel/axle lube will be more then sufficient as it runs down the axles and rubs against.

Less oil = More speed
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thanks for your answer. I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear. I was concerned with the inside rim of the DF wheel, the part that rides the guide strip on a rail rider. Using oil seemed like it would be messy. Perhaps it isn't.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster,
You are talking about the.. Inside rim edge of the wheel.. and not the inside hub right?

Is the track Aluminum ? or Wood ? or is it a Derby magic track ?
I think it would depend on the track surface type..as to what lube would be needed
for the inside rim edge..

Plastic to aluminum.. plastic to wood.. plastic to plastic.. or even if the track is useing
the center guided principle or not.
Speedster wrote: The track is a 4 lane aluminum track that is also used for the Commodore Perry District's final track. Beautiful track.
5oz wrote: I would suggest Teflon spacer of some kind. Built into the body or by use of Teflon washer. If you are using oil to lube, the Teflon will marry well with it and your wheel/axle lube will be more then sufficient as it runs down the axles and rubs against. Less oil = More speed
5oz,
I think Speedster is looking for what lube type would work best..
on the inside rim edge of the wheel.. to the aluminum track guide.

EDIT: :pullhair:
Speedster.. to much typeing got in way trying to get the topic back on track..

Could a car useing a graphite lube on the inside rim pick up the oil off of the tracks rail
if a car was useing oil as a lube on the inside rim edge.
Or could a car useing oil on the inside rim pick up graphite off the rail as well.
OR would it be best.. just to smooth out the inside rim surface and not use any lube at all?
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
5oz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by 5oz »

Polish graphite into that edge.

IF you are running oil as lube, do this polishing FIRST

There should be no graphite dust left when you finish, just a silver finish.
5oz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by 5oz »

whodathunkit wrote: Could a car useing a graphite lube on the inside rim pick up the oil off of the tracks rail
if a car was useing oil as a lube on the inside rim edge.
Or could a car useing oil on the inside rim pick up graphite off the rail as well.
OR would it be best.. just to smooth out the inside rim surface and not use any lube at all?
Exact danger of trying to run oil when graphite is the predominant lube.
Yes you can get caking which will slow a car significantly.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

5oz wrote:Polish graphite into that edge. ...just a silver finish.
That is what we would do. If there is something better than that, I don't know what it is...
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thank you, everyone. I'll graphite the rim.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Speedster,
New car or the one you ran at mid-America?
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

It's the Blue and Gold one I ran at the Mid America. I had to change the wheels and axles to stock BSA to make it legal for this race. It's the 1st chance I've ever had to use oil so I got a bottle of Krytox. Next year when the weather warms up I plan on running it against my wife's car with the 1.4 gram wheels just to see what happens. It's mighty cold here right now. My good friend, Wil, has entered this race and he's tough to beat. We'll see what happens Saturday.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

My good friend, Wil, has entered this race and he's tough to beat. We'll see what happens Saturday.
Best of luck Bill!!

Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Speedster-any updates on your first trial with oil???

Noskills
Napoleon Dynamite
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I got Lazy and just used graphite. I'm going to clean up the 1.4 gram wheels this summer and use the oil. I've got all the records from testing on my track with graphite. I'll see if I can beat the time.