It's been Awhile

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

It's been Awhile

Post by ohiofitter »

I't been a few years since I have posted to this forum. Boy have I missed it. I'm trying fenders for a car for a adult race we are having,But I trying to find the right sive bit for drilling the fenders. Balsa wood to keep them light,everytime I try a spade bit it just tares up the wood, A fostner bit and a hole saw cut great but I'm having a hard time to get the wheel to look right in the opening any thought and Ideas or info on how youve done them..Thanks in Advanced
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: It's been Awhile

Post by Scrollsawer »

Welcome back! I have not done them before, but Greg Dawes who goes by Xanthrum on this site has recently been a big proponent of them, and he can probably field a couple questions. I have also viewed fender building videos over on '[no advertising for this vendor]' we site. Google '[no advertising for this vendor] models', and you'll find his site and videos.

Good luck and welcome back to the fold! :salute:

Regards,

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: It's been Awhile

Post by Noskills »

Hey Ohio,

I use a 1 1/8 fornster bit but I find that I need to increase the diameter of the curve in the fender with sand paper. So I would bet a 1 3/8 fornster bit would be just perfect. It does rough up the area bit by the drill bit. You will need to sand and coat with some thinned out wood putty, sand and repeat.

Do look at the [no advertising for this vendor] videos which start of with a laser cut fender. (those are nice too!)
http://pinewoodp.proboards.com/thread/2545

I would get more opinions before heeding my advice though as my screen name alludes to.

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite