Idea for storing axles in the 'off-season'

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Idea for storing axles in the 'off-season'

Post by Scrollsawer »

Just picked up some low dose aspirin at the pharmacy (take one every evening to help lower risk of heart attack, per doctor's recommendation), and I noticed the silica packet they put into the bottles to keep the pills dry.

I am going to place our prepped axles from this year's race into a small zip bag, along with a minute amount of graphite, and one of those silica packets to keep the bag contents nice and dry during the off-season. Will insert some raw axles into the winning cars (for eventual car display stands since these cars will likely not run again unless we decide to race them at the Mid-America).

My thoughts are that we can reuse these axles next season, and save some time, versus prepping new axles from scratch).

Nice use for these silica packets, I think.

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Idea for storing axles in the 'off-season'

Post by DerbyAddicted »

Scrollsawer wrote:Just picked up some low dose aspirin at the pharmacy (take one every evening to help lower risk of heart attack, per doctor's recommendation), and I noticed the silica packet they put into the bottles to keep the pills dry.

I am going to place our prepped axles from this year's race into a small zip bag, along with a minute amount of graphite, and one of those silica packets to keep the bag contents nice and dry during the off-season. Will insert some raw axles into the winning cars (for eventual car display stands since these cars will likely not run again unless we decide to race them at the Mid-America).

My thoughts are that we can reuse these axles next season, and save some time, versus prepping new axles from scratch).

Nice use for these silica packets, I think.

Scrollsawer
It's really funny (and ironic) you mention this. My daughter is on a low dose aspirin regimen, and today we finished a large bottle. I viewed the bottle and enclosed silica packet and thought, "I have a use for that".
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Scrollsawer wrote:Nice use for these silica packets, I think.
Come to think of it, an empty pill bottle is probably a good place to store axles. You may want to recharge the silica first.
tmack
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by tmack »

Scrollsawer, You just made me realize our car/axles will be sitting for 3 months until Mid Americas!!!! :eek: Really don't want to start a new set of axles. They are all bent 2.5 and my boy put a lot of time into prepping those axles.

I was thinking after districts this weekend break the car down , pull the axles, and submerge them in little bottle of motor oil till late April. Would that work?
That or throw the whole thing in the freezer :idea:
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

I was thinking along the lines of useing..
a paste wax or bees wax to coat the axles with then packing the axles in wax paper.

The DerbyWorx wheel bore wax might work for coating the axles also.
How about the pwd oil lubes as well to keep the axles from rusting in the off-seasons.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

I just use a zip lock and have noted no obvious rust.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

tmack wrote:Scrollsawer, You just made me realize our car/axles will be sitting for 3 months until Mid Americas!!!! :eek: Really don't want to start a new set of axles. They are all bent 2.5 and my boy put a lot of time into prepping those axles.

I was thinking after districts this weekend break the car down , pull the axles, and submerge them in little bottle of motor oil till late April. Would that work?
That or throw the whole thing in the freezer :idea:
I would avoid the freezer. There's moisture in there, and when you remove them, you're likely to have condensation. I would do the oil, or 90% isopropyl alcohol or a some kind of sealed container with silica packets. Or you could treat them like an iphone and put them in a baggy full of rice. lol
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

DerbyAddicted wrote:I would do the oil, or 90% isopropyl alcohol...
Some have found out the hard way that 90% isopropyl alcohol is 10% water.
tmack wrote:You just made me realize our car/axles will be sitting for 3 months until Mid Americas!!!!
This topic from last year also seems relevant...
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

Our rules do not allow the re-use of parts from a past seasons car. We need to re-do all our axles from scratch each year.

birddog
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Chalk.. will also absorb excess moisture from the air and humidity.
Rap a small bundle of chalk with the axles in cheescloth and tie it off.
Store in zip lock bag or in plastic box with a lid.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?