For those of you who run colored wheels...

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

For those of you who run colored wheels...

Post by Vitamin K »

Do you buy enough tubes of colored wheels to be able to match wheels, measure runout, etc., or do you just "go with it" and run with whatever you've got? My kids want to use colored wheels, but I'm not about to buy them in bulk. I have plenty of black wheels to choose from, however.
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: For those of you who run colored wheels...

Post by TXDerbyDad »

We bought one set each and went with it. Still had the top 5 cars in the pack, and all ran colored wheels except mine. My wheels came from one kit box.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Might be too late but we run stock BSA wheels from the scout shop. My boy wanted 2 red and 2 blue. I bought a tube of each color and checked them with dial indicator to get the best ones. I initially got colored wheels from Michael's (Revell brand) because they are close by but found that they are heavier than the scout shop BSA wheels. I also couldn't get any wheel to run smooth on the axles from the Revell tube. All vibrated.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Pin gauges to measure the bore, making sure you get the smallest bore possible and the same for the rears and maybe a little larger for the rail rider. Is more of a goal, then matched numbers.

And sure the same o.d. is a plus.

Run out and center is more important.

Sporty