Inside hub seam??

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
The Iceman
Journeyman
Journeyman

Inside hub seam??

Post by The Iceman »

Ok, got me a nice little 10X jewelers magnifying glass. Was feeling pretty good doing Sporty's Hub prep, looked great then zoomed in. And that's when I seen the seam. Checked my other ones and seen it in them. Anything you can do about these? I guess everyone has to deal with them.

Thanks
Ice
Derby Evolution
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Inside hub seam??

Post by Derby Evolution »

Are you talking about where the gates close on the mold? The outside hub is easy to fix if you remove the double step. The inside hub does not need to have anything done to it, except to polish it good unless you want the hub cut back.
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TXDerbyDad »

Do you mean inside the bore? If so, I use a chuck reamer to ream them all and then polish them.
The Iceman
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by The Iceman »

TXDerbyDad wrote:Do you mean inside the bore? If so, I use a chuck reamer to ream them all and then polish them.
Yes the inside bore, a nice little seem all the way through. I haven't seen a chuck reamer before!
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TXDerbyDad »

Stan Pope is where I got the technique from, though I'm not as careful as he is because I haven't figured out how to make the guide yet. Too much time on the road for work this derby season. I bought the #40 straight fluted chuck reamer off of ebay. I was more comfortable with it than the twist fluted reamers.

http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... lit=reamer

Instead of using Stan's method with a centering jig, I just back the reamer shaft in through the face and use that to center, then when the flutes contact I just rotate the reamer slowly/gently and as straight as I can until the resistance stops. Then I back it out gently and polish the bore. Seems to work well enough for us, but definitely isn't as precise as Stan's setup.