Help finding COM chart please

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Help finding COM chart please

Post by davet »

I once saw a nice chart on here that listed various wheelbases and their COM location vs DFW weight. Can't find it now. We're at 5.04 oz total weight with DFW weight of .65 oz on a 5 9/16" wheelbase. It's hard to measure the COM with the rear fenders. Thanks.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Help finding COM chart please

Post by Stan Pope »

davet wrote:I once saw a nice chart on here that listed various wheelbases and their COM location vs DFW weight. Can't find it now. We're at 5.04 oz total weight with DFW weight of .65 oz on a 5 9/16" wheelbase. It's hard to measure the COM with the rear fenders. Thanks.
See Computing CM Location by Weighing the Car.
From your data, it computes CM Loc = 0.72"

Your data:
Wheelbase: 5-9/16 = 5.5625
Total Weight: 5.04
Rear Wheel weight = 5.04 - 0.65 = 4.39
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

A bit Off Topic but fun for scouts to do. Maximum Velocity's 5197 Balance Stand is a clever design. I've always been able to get the car to balance and stay after I let go. You can then easily measure between the center of the axle head and the top of the balance stand with your calipers or ruler. You should be very close.
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Speedster wrote:A bit Off Topic but fun for scouts to do. Maximum Velocity's 5197 Balance Stand is a clever design. I've always been able to get the car to balance and stay after I let go. You can then easily measure between the center of the axle head and the top of the balance stand with your calipers or ruler. You should be very close.
:nod:

Yep. Works even with fenders!
Brian Clark
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brian Clark »

There's a free app called pinewood calculator that is good for this kind of help.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Thanks guys.