ALERT ALERT ALERT

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

ALERT ALERT ALERT

Post by davet »

Now that I have your attention I have this in this section because it has the most readers. I'm sure many already know anyways. Feel free to move it to where it fits better. I was at our Pack leadership meeting (Northern Star Council) tonight where I learned that our Council (possibly Cub Scouts altogether) is doing away with the Webelos II rank in May of 2015. Something about having the boys choose a Troop at the end of Webelos I season so they can attend Summer camps with them. This means only 4 years of pinewood derby instead of 5. My boy will miss the last year of racing.
Last edited by davet on Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: ALERT ALERT ALERT

Post by Darin McGrew »

The school districts around here are structured with "middle schools" that start at 6th grade, rather than with "junior high schools" that start at 7th grade. So our church starts its junior high program at 6th grade, and our CSB Battalion program (junior high and high school) starts at 6th grade.

The CSB Stockade program is structured for 3rd-6th grade boys, but when we've had it in our church, it has been 3rd-5th grade.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

davet wrote: I learned that our Council (possibly Cub Scouts altogether) is doing away with the Webelos II rank in May of 2015.
According to this thread, Northern Star seems to be a testbed for altering the Cub Scouting program. Early promotion is probably not a national development, at least not yet. Historically there have been age limits on when a boy can join Boy Scouts (starting age 10 only if he earned the Cub Scouting Arrow of Light or completed the fifth grade, otherwise starting age 11).
davet wrote:This means only 4 years of pinewood derby instead of 5.
Are Lion Cubs not allowed to race?
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Lions can race but we don't have any lions this year. We started in Tigers so we now have 4 instead of 5.