Front nose of car, shape, aero, thin to win ?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Front nose of car, shape, aero, thin to win ?

Post by sporty »

gpraceman wrote:
sporty wrote:He said that aero does not come into play until min of 17 miles per hour.
I don't buy that, as there have been several people, myself included, that have done experiments that have showed that aerodynamics do have an effect at PWD speeds. Just take a thin car, make several runs and note the times. Then add an index card cut to simulate the cross sectional area of a larger car and do several more runs. The car with the smaller cross sectional area will be a bit faster, all other things kept the same. Is it a big effect, no. Other factors have a larger effect on a car's speed.
read everything I mentioned and talked about. you are quoting one thing, taken a bit out of context.

The aero space engineer was talking about full scale, like cars and ect. much bigger items.

Your quote and comment, makes it look like atleast to me, that I am disputing aero , I am in the rear, 3/4 way down the car, the air speed to week and falls out.

the front nose and anything in the front 1 to 1 1/2 inches. there is air flow there.

Maybe these topics need to be broken into different sections.

air speed
air flow
air mass

I started the topic to talk about my design of my car/cars and why I made them that way, correlated with enough information as to why.

Then got off topic a bit, into other areas of aero. It's almost like 3 topics going on in one section.

I guess would be a better question, is everyone reading all the posts and started from the first post ? read thru it ? or is some skipping going on ?

I thought I had already established and talked about the low profie body being more aero, So the comment and reference of track time testing to prove aero works and using a card stock to block , making the car bigger and taller.

We been , or thought we were talking about air flow, the pattern it takes over the shapes ? where its stronger and where the air flow falls off.

The once person who was kind enough to post his time / data . happened to correlate to what I had learned and understood and that was awesome.

I hope, more will post more data, scale to non scale comparison data. but really hoping someone will get there hands on a real wind tunnel like I was able to. and get some good pictures and video and slow motion shots and ect.

I seen a few bad homemade wind tunnel machines for pwd already. That's why I spent some time explaining what makes a good one versus the wrong one to use or do, because the results will not be correct.

Sporty
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

sporty wrote:
Very nice love it ! that is a great shape, I love the mid section, between the wheels. the inside by the wheels. nice work.

Very nice and good design. thanks for posting a much better picture.

Sporty
Thanks Sporty! BTW, you can't see it well in the picture, but there are a few elements of your "spoon" design in the main body. I actually think of the shape as an upside down version of the spoon design.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

sporty wrote:The aero space engineer was talking about full scale, like cars and ect. much bigger items.
If he means that test results may not scale up well from a scale model to a full sized car, then I would agree. However, we are not dealing with that issue, as testing aerodynamics of PWD cars is "full scale" testing. We are not trying to extrapolate. The aerodynamic effects at PWD speeds are noticeable and measurable, even without a wind tunnel to test with. So, I don't really follow your comments about these different mph values that you are throwing out.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

gpraceman wrote:
sporty wrote:The aero space engineer was talking about full scale, like cars and ect. much bigger items.
If he means that test results may not scale up well from a scale model to a full sized car, then I would agree. However, we are not dealing with that issue, as testing aerodynamics of PWD cars is "full scale" testing. We are not trying to extrapolate. The aerodynamic effects at PWD speeds are noticeable and measurable, even without a wind tunnel to test with. So, I don't really follow your comments about these different mph values that you are throwing out.
Didn't I mention somewhere on here, that the wind tunnel was in mph, no scale speed. That's why
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

sporty wrote:Didn't I mention somewhere on here, that the wind tunnel was in mph, no scale speed. That's why
Yes, I am familiar with wind tunnel testing (I have a degree in Aerospace Engineering). Still the comments don't make sense to me, unless the wind tunnels you are talking about don't have the capability to test at PWD speeds. I'm just trying to understand your comments about "aero not coming into play".
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
bracketracer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by bracketracer »

gpraceman wrote:Yes, I am familiar with wind tunnel testing (I have a degree in Aerospace Engineering). Still the comments don't make sense to me, unless the wind tunnels you are talking about don't have the capability to test at PWD speeds. I'm just trying to understand your comments about "aero not coming into play".
Randy, in your opinion, would there be a difference in how the air reacts to the car's shape between having the air drawn across the body (like in a wind tunnel) versus having the body moving through the air (like a car going down the track)?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

bracketracer wrote:Randy, in your opinion, would there be a difference in how the air reacts to the car's shape between having the air drawn across the body (like in a wind tunnel) versus having the body moving through the air (like a car going down the track)?
As far as I recall, it doesn't matter if the car is moving through stationary air or the air is moving across a stationary car. Though, it is one thing to test the car all by itself vs. testing with the car sitting on a track surface. Having the road surface present does change the air flow.
Randy Lisano

Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

gpraceman wrote:
bracketracer wrote:Randy, in your opinion, would there be a difference in how the air reacts to the car's shape between having the air drawn across the body (like in a wind tunnel) versus having the body moving through the air (like a car going down the track)?
As far as I recall, it doesn't matter if the car is moving through stationary air or the air is moving across a stationary car. Though, it is one thing to test the car all by itself vs. testing with the car sitting on a track surface. Having the road surface present does change the air flow.
Good catch. The fundamental difference is whether air is moving relative to track surface. Air moving relative to the track surface will create some turbulence (wind tunnel case). Stationary air relative to track surface (race track case.) So wind tunnel results of "car+track" or "car" will be indicative but not necessarily definitive.

Is that what you are saying, Randy?
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Stan and randy.
I talked about that earlier in my posts replies in this thread.
Yes, there is a difference. You need to use a piece of track in the wind tunnel or the results will not be right.

You guys did read that, right ? I'm wondering if some are skipping around a bit
Sporty
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

sporty wrote:The scale speeds with correlation to scale air flow that it creates.
bracketracer wrote:If I assume a 1/25 scale I believe that's around 263 mph scale speed...
For aerodynamic effects, the scale factor of interest is usually the Reynolds number, which is a function of air density, air viscosity, and speed, as well as size.
sporty wrote:I still feel that what I seen in the wind tunnel. that the wind is not powerful enough to stay up and is not reaching the rear wheels.
Based on your description, I wonder if air shed off the front reached a turbulent state by the time it influenced the rear wheels. Turbulent flow generally requires less energy to penetrate.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

F.S.

Posted -

Based on your description, I wonder if air shed off the front reached a turbulent state by the time it influenced the rear wheels. Turbulent flow generally requires less energy to penetrate.

That's a good question to ask FS.

This may not answer your question, and I may have said something of the sort earlier in me starting the topic.

I imagine you might recall the posting of these pictures 4 years ago, kind of old news. but old info reposted. must be new news.

:idk: :idk:

FS,

The fog machine, before the wind tunnel. helped with seeing the air. and light strips placed all over the car, I think we used that tissue type paper, that's super thin and light, they use to make those diy small hot air ballons, or seen in bags or gift boxes, I just forget the dang name its called. :wall:

no movement or wind / air flow was seen to get too the rear wheels.

As mentioned. and im wondering if the way I am trying to explain it, if people are just not understand or getting it, or How I could word it differently. for everyone. :wall: :wall:

The air just didn't have enough speed or power on it, to reach the rear wheels. The only way it did, is when we turned it up, past the point we both felt was beyond what a pinewood derby car would ever see on a standard typical track.

that was wood worx, he used to be on here.

I just got to hope and I think we all need to hope, some people will get a professional machine or build a really good one, that will work right. I seen to many of ones that no way were working right.

Then we can get more info.

But I don't think I have this wrong. I THINK my track record over the years on the forum. I hope atleast it has been supported well by me and proven well.

I am not against fenders, I think they are cool and I enjoyed making a few of them and I will make more of them for fun.

Maybe this helps people, ill try saying it like this-

There is air flow there, it is so week. that it is so easy to hurt you if you don't find a shape and style that can allow you to use the air to aid and help you to go a tad faster. This is not about a full block of wood, im talking about fenders !

The air was so week, that it is not reaching the back of the car. with what I seen. and wood worx, he was the one that got his hands on the machine for us.

I was surprised by what we seen, me and buck both were. Could the range of what we felt the was seeing be wrong, sure, do I think its off, I would open the door of saying if it is off, its got to be just a tad off.

at 3 miles per hour, seen nothing !

at 5 to 6 miles per hour, almost nothing.

7 to 8 miles per hour, something, but not much.

10 to 12 miles per hour. the air is effecting the first 1 to 2 inches of the pinewood derby car. no air after that. its like it falls off or is just to week to move anything of the pieces we had there to see , when they moved and how they moved. that tissue type paper. nothing after that distance. could not see anything with the fog machine for the colored air. just seen.

14 to 16 miles per hour the air was getting to 3 to 4 inches of the pine wood derby car.

17 to 20 miles per hour. you are getting the full air flow, like you see in diagrams, that is if the diagram was of a pinewood derby car . :roll: :roll: :roll:

It is also in this 17 to 20 mile per hour, it will move the front wheels (no fenders on it), they will start to roll and slowly spin. the rears will not.

22 to 27 mile per hour, the same as before, but the rear wheels now, will also start to spin. you will see them move wiggle a bit and slowly make a turn and spin a little.

Please note, this was not all testing or how it was all done. we tried different things. car on a track, lifted the car up off it a tad so the wheels were free. to see if they would spin and when.

I bet me and buck put in alteast 8 hours of actual testing, not counting the changes or set ups.

Example of my very last comment.

the fog machine, ugh, it tooks us a bit to figure out, how far back it needed to be, to close, to much , to far away, not enough. and just trying to get a small tiny puff. ya know this took a bit of trial and error.

The same with the replica track section and the angle plate it was one. took time to get it up and get it right.

same with plastic and paper strips, and string, gosh I bet we spent 1 to 2 hours just figuring out a right way to get it on, and be light and what we felt was right and working to see air stream and movement, we tried tiny stickers, scotch tape, thin strips, electric tape. we ended up with that super light tissue type paper.

we had it so light and sensitive, the stuff would fall off, sometimes before we turned it on, we were really worried about not getting it close or right, we worked as a team, hard at it.

In my only few pictures I shared with you all here, That was day light, we used a opening in a garage door window to shoot the air / smoke out the back of the wind tunnel. It was well past 1am. / 2 am in the morning when we wrapped up. I think we started at 10am.

The end result was several failed attempts of fenders and the design and my most winning car design ever, for me, for the kids, others on here, local packs, other kids.

The design has done very well for the scouts who have used it. and I didn't build there car for them ! many of them was just by looking at pictures of my cars.

Sporty
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

sporty wrote:The air was so weak, that it is not reaching the back of the car.
Good, detailed topic. I'll add that air must be at the back of the car, otherwise it would be in a vacuum. Rather, in relation to ngyoung's illustration, laminar flow moves parallel to the streamlines. The turbulent flow is an area where there are no well-defined streamlines. The turbulent flow area includes where the flow is partially blocked and may appear stagnant. Regardless of how it is physically described, I don't think it is controversial to suggest that fenders would benefit the front wheels more than the rears, since those are upstream. The very front of a wheel represents a stagnation point, and the very rear should also, in theory, experience zero air velocity. I suppose that streamers / flow detectors in these areas likely would move little, if at all.

Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

It is interesting (to me, at least) that, whereas the picture shows air flow going above and below the wheel, the fenders on the fastest cars in the recently posted video appear to deflect the air flow mostly sideways. This makes sense to me since the deflection distance sideways is 1/3 to 1/2 of he vertical distance, depending on if the deflection is purely sideways or has both horizontal and vertical components!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Stan Pope wrote:It is interesting (to me, at least) that, whereas the picture shows air flow going above and below the wheel, the fenders on the fastest cars in the recently posted video appear to deflect the air flow mostly sideways. This makes sense to me since the deflection distance sideways is 1/3 to 1/2 of he vertical distance, depending on if the deflection is purely sideways or has both horizontal and vertical components!
:nod:

We live in a 3D world. Need to think in 3D.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Stan Pope wrote:the picture shows air flow going above and below the wheel...
If this refers to the image I linked above, I believe it is actually a 3-D sphere, not a wheel. (Thus, for "sideways" deflection one could imagine looking at it from the top!) An operational wheel would have no flow "beneath"; my purpose was to show transition to turbulent flow within an actual fluid, adding to the earlier drawings. Regardless, one can imagine that a rear wheel/fender travels in the wake of the front, and so I wonder if this had some effect on Sporty's experimental observations...