If you have to use stock axle slots, look no further !

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

If you have to use stock axle slots, look no further !

Post by sporty »

Years ago, before I knew we could use axle wholes and extended wheel base, we used the axle slots in the wood.

And I know many packs still require the use of the stock axle slots.

I have to tell you, this pro axle guide tool, is a blessing in disguise.

I recall my son and me, breaking the wood, trying to put axles in the slots and I do recall so many kids and parents doing the same thing at the work shops.

Totally feel for cub scouts who have to use stock axle slots. you can't go wrong here.

This is what happens so often , trying to put the axle into the slots.

Its, just a total bummer when it happens.

Now you can either hold it on with some pressure with your hand. But I like the idea of using a clamp.

The gap tool, on it, is nice. No loosing the other one out there, this one is mounted right on the tool.

after I used the tool, Here is a pic of the axle in the wood. way better then what Im use to seeing.

This is what I usually see, if the wood is not broken or cracked already. you can see how its not in there level, typical install I would always see.

A picture with the tool again, after I used it.

I give this tool a :thumbup: :bigups: :thumbup:

especially kids and parents new to scouting and cub scouts , pinewood derby. and have to use stock axle slots.

It also puts some of the building back into the kids hands ! It's going to provide more accuracy and better axle alignment, then not using the tool.

I was impressed.

Sporty
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: If you have to use stock axle slots, look no further !

Post by ngyoung »

I agree that it is a simple little tool that makes a huge difference for getting axles installed if you use the slots.

Hopefully if you are required to use axle slots they also let you re-cut your own so that they are square since most aren't so in the precut blocks. If you can do that I would go ahead and drill the holes first, use a spare axle to push in and out each hole a bunch of times to relieve the hole, and then saw up to the holes to make the slot.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Sporty, what are your thoughts?

Would it help if the burrs on the points of the BSA axles were filed off or down some what.

To keep them from cracking or spliting out the axle slots.. even when useing this tool.
I can see pushing the axle down into the axle slot but getting it back out with out haveing to twist it
some what with them little burrs on the points of the axle.

Seem to me them little burrs would have there way of digging in to the slot
and missing many of good axle slots up along with the wheel bores.

Tell me your thoughts are the same on this.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

You should file off the sharp edges in the point anyway to make sure not to scratch your wheel bores when installing them in the wheels. Also you would want to use a spare axle to relieve the slot before you try jamming in your nicely polished axles. Another technique for getting the axle out with slots is to not pull but to take a flat-head screwdriver and push them out from inside the slot. This way you don't have to grab the nail head or pull on the wheel. Even without slots I know some people drill access holes underneath where the tip of the axle would be exposed to be able to push it out and even to turn it with a needle nose pliers to adjust steer.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

ngyoung wrote: Another technique for getting the axle out with slots is to not pull but to take a flat-head screwdriver and push them out from inside the slot. This way you don't have to grab the nail head or pull on the wheel.
I like your Idea of useing a flat-head screwdirver to push the axle out of the slot.
But I must ask why take the chance with the screw driver to remove the axle
it could dig down into the slot or slip off of the tip of the axle to one side or other of the axle slot.

It's to bad that the other end of the tool posted:
Dousen't have a spot designed in the tool to where it sets flush to the bottom of the axle slot
so that it could also be use to push the axles out.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

whodathunkit wrote:Sporty, what are your thoughts?

Would it help if the burrs on the points of the BSA axles were filed off or down some what.

To keep them from cracking or spliting out the axle slots.. even when useing this tool.
I can see pushing the axle down into the axle slot but getting it back out with out haveing to twist it
some what with them little burrs on the points of the axle.

Seem to me them little burrs would have there way of digging in to the slot
and missing many of good axle slots up along with the wheel bores.

Tell me your thoughts are the same on this.
I'll be honest with you, I rarely do it, I didn't and never had my kids do it. Maybe a few times we did. I think I did it more with adult racing.
But I see deburring the ends of the axles a plus, sure why not.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

This tool is one we've never tried. I am curious how one should use the tool if canted axles are desired. Is it possible to somehow insert an unbent axle at a cant with this tool, or does one tilt the axle after the fact? Should one insert a bent axle directly, or in a straight axle as a guide, remove it, and the replace with a bent axle? Or is it recommended for straight-running only?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

FatSebastian wrote:This tool is one we've never tried. I am curious how one should use the tool if canted axles are desired. Is it possible to somehow insert an unbent axle at a cant with this tool, or does one tilt the axle after the fact? Should one insert a bent axle directly, or in a straight axle as a guide, remove it, and the replace with a bent axle? Or is it recommended for straight-running only?
My understanding, canting with bent axles is the belief of Derbyworx, and others over drilling canted. So I'm assuming. Some of the axle bending tools he sells are the reason.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

A word of caution when using the tool with the steel gauge. It can easily damage the hub, especially if you are using the drill press to insert the nail. I remove the steel gauge and use a credit car. Once the tool is clamped onto the car for the rears it is not necessary to remove the tool to insert both back axles. The tool will have to be adjusted for the front because one side will probably be more narrow if rail riding. I bend 3 of the axles so all the nails are inserted straight. I use an axle Made in China to open the holes before the final assembly.