Axle drilling success rate?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Axle drilling success rate?

Post by ngyoung »

I am sure there are plenty that use slots that have beat someone drilling holes. That is one variable out of many that make a fast car. I will say without a doubt if you want to debate what is faster just look at the fastest racers competing in pro leagues over the years. Overwhelmingly the fastest do not use slots or bend their rear axles. That is also an example of skilled builders using precision parts with perfectly straight axles and trued wheels.

Now if we're talking about using official BSA parts which are not precise I feel it is still best to follow the same process that top league racers use when possible. Take the time to check your kit and find 2 straight axles. Most of the time you should be able to find 2 out of the box that are and if you can't get another kit or wheel pack. Most scout offices will let you open them to inspect the parts. If that isn't possible then you can then go through tuning the toe angle to get the rear wheels aligned.

When it comes to drilling, that should be done early and tested after you have polished axles. Don't start shaping till you've verified that you have the holes drilled right. If something doesn't seem right it is better to find it now and redo the step vs trying to tune it out later.

I always go back to 5kids Racing's cub scout work shop and build tips page when building with my scout. It has been the one place that in my opinion goes through each step all on one page using all supplies found at most local hardware aside from the machine block fixture. Considering his scouts have won the closest thing to a BSA nationals derby, the Mid America derby, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

http://5kidsracing.m.webs.com
Speedster wrote:Axle drilling success? I'm very curious. Let's assume you must use the stock wheelbase. Let's also assume you may use Max-V's 4091 wheels which includes the 4094 axles. Can a car be built ( 3 wheel rail rider) using axle holes first and then slots cut for the rears and using bent axles? What would be the difference in speed? Has anyone attempted this? I am not skilled enough. Perhaps Maximum Velocity would try it.
One other question. Has anyone who has drilled their holes for a scout race been beaten by someone using slots?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Perspective here.

Its a good topic. Let's not get to far off course.

I like to think. At the skill level of a 6 to 10 year old.

Many of my posts and info go way beyond that of a scout.
I try to find balance sometimes. With keeping in mind what a scout can do. Might be able to do or try.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Actually, my son's Pack rules require that he use BSA wheels and BSA axles. This means that our only options would be the ones sold by the Scout stores, or the stuff you get from a licensed Revell kit.

Given that, the best we do can do for straight axles is to buy a bunch of BSA axles and pick through them for straight ones, and then file and polish them, is there still much to be gained by going with angled drilled holes, as opposed to bending axles?

If the answer is 'yes', how great of an improvement is one over the other? Tuning time aside, is there something inherently faster about a car with straight, canted axles, over a car with bent axles?
Speedster wrote:Axle drilling success? I'm very curious. Let's assume you must use the stock wheelbase. Let's also assume you may use Max-V's 4091 wheels which includes the 4094 axles. Can a car be built ( 3 wheel rail rider) using axle holes first and then slots cut for the rears and using bent axles? What would be the difference in speed? Has anyone attempted this? I am not skilled enough. Perhaps Maximum Velocity would try it.
One other question. Has anyone who has drilled their holes for a scout race been beaten by someone using slots?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Vitamin K wrote:Actually, my son's Pack rules require that he use BSA wheels and BSA axles. This means that our only options would be the ones sold by the Scout stores, or the stuff you get from a licensed Revell kit.

Given that, the best we do can do for straight axles is to buy a bunch of BSA axles and pick through them for straight ones, and then file and polish them, is there still much to be gained by going with angled drilled holes, as opposed to bending axles?

If the answer is 'yes', how great of an improvement is one over the other? Tuning time aside, is there something inherently faster about a car with straight, canted axles, over a car with bent axles?

I have done both, Actually I have done it many ways, learned, when helping other packs, who had different rules.

Here is my reply and best , honest view with all my experience.

Drilling canted, provides more even canting, over bent axles. it was hard to bend two axles the same.

But I recently got the pro axle builder tool and I am very impressed with it and feel this could even, if not eliminate those gaps. between the two.

And then, yes, more or less, drilling the rears canted, over using bent axles, aside from what I just mentioned. It did reduce tuning time or eliminate rear wheel tuning.

For me, with all the pictures and video clips I have shared on here, on how to check and drill canted.

For me, I could check right away, if I got it right. Then either decide to try and adjust with a bent axle or just re drill it.

In the end, I wanted to just re drill. and get it right before cutting and shaping the body or adding weight.

It was a savings in time. and I the old way of bending axles, proved harder to get two axles bent the same.

But the new tool out, seems to resolve this.

Now, the 3rd part of this in my mind and what I have dealt with.

When I was able to get two axles bent the same, with using bent axles.

I had to still try and get them with no toe in or toe out in the rear.

So I still had to spend some time, adjusting and fin tuning, because even with the K groove or a marker line on the axle head.

The bent axles, still had to be adjusted.

Where as, the drilled canted axle wholes. I did not have to do this at all, but you do have to be good at drilling.

So in the end.

I think it comes down to what the builder is capable of doing and what they feel more comfortable with. A preference thing may be at play here.

I would rather toss a $1.50 piece of wood and start over, then spend 1 to 2 hours tuning just the rears, although I did get it down to 10 to 15 minutes or less, when I was doing allot and often. At the height of my skill level.

Great tuning is a skill, some can do it well, and some are okay at it.

In time, and with practice and a willingness to get better, everyone gets good at it.

I like to buy full blocks from max-v. I have then have two chance to make two thin cars or if I make a mistake on the drilling, can still try using the other 1/2 of the block of wood.

Many packs require the stock axles be used or the replacement of the same ones. the same as the wheels.

It would be nice for bsa to do a better axle.

Until then, the families and kids, who take the time to build a really nice, and fast car. they do the work and put in the time to learn and improve.

Many parents and kids, see pinewood derby as a 1 time year event and just a small part of the overall cub scout philosophy and what scouting is all about.

That's something we often forget. out of 64 kids in my kids pack, back a few years now. 40 of them really did not do much of anything to the axles or wheels. 20 of them did. and out of that 20, 5 or 6 kids took it to the derby talk level.

Sporty
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

I have drilled a bunch of blocks now and they all pass my visual inspection (using drill bits, I dont have 5 in drill blanks) and the rolling back and forth test. They even race well at the pack and district level. Yet when my car (not my scouts) was up against stiffer competition it fell behind the PROs within 4-5 in of the starting pin. As my wheels were just as light as the competition I can only assume that my drilling is off my a visually imperceivable amount but its not perfect.

Apart from that I screw up about 1 in 4 blocks (especially when I start getting warmed up again like I am now)

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Does my heart good to hear that Noskills is ramping up for this year's Derby season. ;)

What are you using for drilling, NS? Do you go the Block/Bullet route?
Noskills wrote:I have drilled a bunch of blocks now and they all pass my visual inspection (using drill bits, I dont have 5 in drill blanks) and the rolling back and forth test. They even race well at the pack and district level. Yet when my car (not my scouts) was up against stiffer competition it fell behind the PROs within 4-5 in of the starting pin. As my wheels were just as light as the competition I can only assume that my drilling is off my a visually imperceivable amount but its not perfect.

Apart from that I screw up about 1 in 4 blocks (especially when I start getting warmed up again like I am now)
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Noskills wrote:I have drilled a bunch of blocks now and they all pass my visual inspection (using drill bits, I dont have 5 in drill blanks) and the rolling back and forth test. They even race well at the pack and district level. Yet when my car (not my scouts) was up against stiffer competition it fell behind the PROs within 4-5 in of the starting pin. As my wheels were just as light as the competition I can only assume that my drilling is off my a visually imperceivable amount but its not perfect.
If your axle holes pass the typical visual and roll tests, then I would attribute the slow start to axle and wheel prep.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

If the rear wheels have 2 1/2 degrees of Negative camber and are not in perfect alignment will they still stay on the axle heads while rolled forward and backwards? What is the absolute best way to check rear wheel alignment?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

This is an excellent question. Even more excellent would be somebody posting a 'how to check your alignment with drilled camber and straight axles' how-to video.
Speedster wrote:If the rear wheels have 2 1/2 degrees of Negative camber and are not in perfect alignment will they still stay on the axle heads while rolled forward and backwards? What is the absolute best way to check rear wheel alignment?
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Hello all,
Took the summer off. Need to post the cool photos of the oak sword I made my son (based on the Foe Hammer from LOTR)...
I use the Silver Bullet. I have gotten good results. When I am not paying attention I have drilled the reverse camber. Yet I did just move and I always have a hard time leveling the drill press :thinking:

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

I have always found 'Glamdring' much more enjoyable to say than the English translation. ;)
Noskills wrote:Hello all,
Took the summer off. Need to post the cool photos of the oak sword I made my son (based on the Foe Hammer from LOTR)...
I use the Silver Bullet. I have gotten good results. When I am not paying attention I have drilled the reverse camber. Yet I did just move and I always have a hard time leveling the drill press :thinking:

Noskills
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

ngyoung wrote:With the machined block/bullet you don't necessarily need a squared table for your press as long as the fence is locked down to drill both rear holes. Any offset will be mirrored when the block is flipped.
No offense, but I totally disagree with this statement regarding the table squaring as far as drilling good holes. This claim has always disturbed me.

I do believe the machined surface tool (block/bullet) offers sound engineering principles of setting up your primary and secondary datums of the wood for drilling the holes and I wish I would have bought it first for my son and I to drill the holes. It's cost was far exceeded in lost time spent trying to find a good solution for us.

If your table is out of true to your spindle, your axle hole locations would need to be different from the end of the block to maintain axles that are co-planer (aka in the same plane). Otherwise they will just be parallel and instill a dog track(maybe that is good - i don't know).

Ultimately everyone will have to find what works for them.

Ideally in my mind, without any camber (cant) the axles should be coaxial(aka the center line of the axles are the same) basically creating a theoretical straight solid piece from one side to the other .

Our Step 1 - Start with a good working surface(aka something Flat) that is true (aka Perpendicular in left to right and front to back directions) to the spindle.

Remember this is manufacturing and nothing is going to be perfect. You are aiming for as close as possible.

Looks like there is a lot catching up to do since last season(new weights etc....) Mid America looks like it is shaping up to be the place to be for PWD, offering an incredible chance to see most if not all of the top builders in the country. We made the whirlwind trip there last year and the kids had a great time. We hope to extend our stay this year.

Good luck to everyone this year.
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

Yes it would create a dog track but they would still be alligned. Like you said it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Any rail running car that doesn't have the DFW inset 1/16" will be dog tracking already.

I did use the pin supplied chucked in my press and the SB to true up my table. I have actually used it for a lot of things to get a square edge.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

I have always found 'Glamdring' much more enjoyable to say than the English translation. ;)
Me too!
Noskills

Napoleon Dynamite
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Dude, that's a sweet looking sword.

I motion that we change your handle from 'Noskills' to 'Madskills'.

Also, did you build that entirely on your own, or did you follow some kind of guide?
Noskills wrote:
Me too!
Noskills