Your friendly neighborhood Laserman

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Your friendly neighborhood Laserman

Post by Laserman »

Vitamin K wrote:Man, these cars look like they're made of bone, vat grown in some secret genetics experiment laboratory. Sick, in the best sense of the word. :thumbup:

I'd love to see a time-lapse video of your build process, if you ever felt so inclined, Laserman.

Thanks Vitamin K,

I got kind of lucky on this one I think.

Even though those big beautiful sides got reduced to toothpicks, at least there wasn't a lot of two steps forwards, and one step back.

Check out this reversed front axle car I built:

By the end of it, I was just grabbing any species of wood that I had, that would (sort of) look right.

Now that would have been a great time lapse!

I probably built/ tore down every part of that car 3-5 times! LOL

With the help of Corvid prepping/ tuning/ axles/ making it happen, this car was quick.

I believe that part of that was due to the elimination of the bulge at the front axle area.

It is really thin on the bottom and ( WARNING! conjecture) the air clings to the front fenders and pushes to the outside of the car.

Like a diver splitting the water and pushing it to the outside.

The air stays somewhat attached to the car all the way to the rear. This reduces the possibility of turbulence happening.

Meanwhile, the center of the car is slicing through the air lower than most other cars on the track. (no bump at the front axle area)

Thanks again,
Joe
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Pretty neat.

Joe,

Wood stain, colors, I bought the dye kit, just add warm water, many colors can be made. Naturally the wood has to be same type and color, but something to try, if you wish.
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Laserman »

Thanks Sporty.

Thanks also to Whoda!

He was the one that taught me how to bend wood.
The piece up front is a stick of walnut that I bent into shape.

Thanks guys
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

I would love to try and mimic that design (especially the reversed front wheels), but I'm sure it would be an utter disaster due to my lack of skill and tools. I couldn't even imagine trying to get the alignment right.