Tungsten Puma Weighta

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Tungsten Puma Weighta

Post by sporty »

Thanks Joe,

I got mine in the mail today and another set from John. Thank you both.

smooth cut, no sharp edges that I can see or feel. uniform. I took some pictures of 1 then two on the pocket scale. right now Im having some upload issues with photobucket.

When I get some time, Ill install and posts some pictures.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Tungsten Puma Weighta

Post by sporty »

One tungsten wheel weight.

two on the scale.

Almost 2.5 oz.

I usually try and use 4oz of weight on all my cars. With the fender cars its a bit harder for me to do that.

However, it does free up some weight placement options and locations. I will only have to place elsewhere now 1.5 oz or less.

Stay Tuned.
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Laserman »

Hi Sporty!

I am looking forward to see what you come up with, using the Puma Racing Weights!

Thanks,
Joe Puma
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Joe,

I'm hoping to have everything done this weekend, I got many things going on and trying to cross them off the to do list as I go along.

While I have not got the weights on yet and up to 5oz. I am in another faze of the project.

Hope you like so far,

Sporty
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Laserman »

LOL!

Love it Sporty!

The legal department over here is going to be up in arms but that is OK.

Let them earn their paycheck.

Looking really good pal.

I can hardly wait to see the finished product.

Best,
Joe
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Look'n good there Sporty and nice details on the Puma decals!
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Okay, I fibbed.

I cut not stop working on the car and I am mostly done now. So much for getting the other things I needed to get done today. lol

I marked a dot with the marker, I wanted the lighter side of the weight. Not full weight. on top of.

I went ahead and used the tape wrap again, Like I did with the washers. And it again worked fine.

They do offer or typically have a spacer that comes with the weight, I believe. But this way works just fine.

I used a loose washer again on the inside, it helps get the wheel off easier and then I just use a exacto to cut off the wrap of the tape around the weight, Easy.

I did not do a spacer this time, I wanted to see If I could just direct mount it. I don't have a track anymore to test this out. But Maybe Joe can mention, if its okay either way.

I only had to add 7 additional cubes to bring it up to 5oz. I see a ton of options and tinkering with weight placement or body styles with using these tungsten wheel weights.

No issue with cant, wheels spin freely, no issue with weight.

Thanks Again Joe (laserman) for the weights.

I recommend these weights, any day of the week, Not hard to install. I used super glue and added a little bead on the underside where they meet the wood.

Sporty
aphonos
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by aphonos »

Any chance of a picture of the underside of the car [EDIT: with the wheels on? Or a sort of side shot of the underside with a wheel mounted]?

With the cutout of the weight mounted on the top and the weight directly against the chassis without a spacer, would you have any issue with the weight bumping the guide rail?
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Laserman »

Ok Sporty,

First of all, that car is absolutely beautiful!

Those weights on the car really finish it off nicely!

Secondly, I am very touched, and honored by the decal.

I may have to make this my screen saver.

Thirdly, LOL! You and I are too much alike. I heard rumors of other builders trying different configurations in an effort to lower their COM.

As things go it is a little risky for newer builders to push the tolerances near the rail as closely as Sporty is doing.

Installed the way that Sporty has it.There should be JUST enough room, to keep the weights inside the wheel void and off the rail.

Apologies for not getting out the complete package (with centering jig) to you Sporty.

We hope to be on the ball with things going forward.

As a side note:

Some pack rules require the lettering to be visible on the inside and outside of the wheels.

If this is the case then one way to modify the weights is to put the recess into a vise and hit it with a hammer, or you can ask for this mod to be done for you.

The break is nearly clean and a few seconds on a disc sander finishes it off nicely.

Thanks again Sporty. That car looks awesome!
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

I liked the idea that someone else mentioned on another forum about making an alternative with a slot from the center hole out to the edge if it means taking out less material then removing the thin section.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Work of art Sporty!
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Thanks for the kind words, Im a bit rusty,I have not built cars in awhile.

So I really appreciate the kind words.

You know many of you, I have observed and watched you grow and I feel , now many of you have surpassed me and that's the great reward. From many of you, when you first came on D.T.

You had the willingness and the ability for your kids and for yourself. :thumbup: :bigups: :clap: :clap:

To answer questions now.

The balance point on the Puma is just under 5/8ths balance point.

And you asked for a picture of my weight placement, Its not my best work, so I didn't show right away. partially as I likely will not ever race again, but might run it down a track sometime.

I taped the weight in, so I can move it, if I get access to a track to tinker.

:oopssign:

A side note. I've said this before. Sometimes it's good to re-mention it.

In 2009, Some people said what I shared on here was Junk and to put up or shut up. I believed in myself and what I share here, that it works.
So in 2010, Team Sporty won in two division in one of the leagues.

That was all I ever had dreamed of and got lucky, with lacking so much equipment. After that. I felt I had proven myself and what I share here, that it works and is good information. And I seen no further need to continue to adult race.

A few times for fun , me and the kids did the mid America and we did decent, considering we tuned on the kitchen floor with drift, best guess.

I just hope that I have been fair and helpful to everyone and shared everything I learned and try to do the best that I can, in sharing and helping others on here.

So, in the end, the honor is very flattering, when The people I seen start off, and have came so far and are now better then me. That's just awesome.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone.

Sporty
aphonos
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by aphonos »

Thanks for that image. Very helpful view.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Sporty,

After seeing what you have done useing Nellie Faye fenders & Puma weights.

I just had to ask myself what other types of weight placements could be done to keep the weight low
and outside the main car body..
Thanks to something Speedster once said about fenders & weights. ;)
So just to tinker around with that idea useing some 3/16 tungsten cubes and Nellie Faye Fenders.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Sweet, I was tossing that around too. Glad you did it and shared.
My understanding Nellie Faye fenders are no longer sold or available thru derby evolution.