Cementing Loose Tungsten Powder

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Cementing Loose Tungsten Powder

Post by FatSebastian »

I am curious who has used loose tungsten powder, and recommends ways to secure it. Mixing powder with epoxy appeared to be a popular option in the past, suggested for homemade weights, but this could be messy and potentially wasteful. In my case, I want to pour and pack a limited amount in a narrow hole and then seal the end of the hole. My first instinct was to put a few drops of CA glue to harden some / all of the powder in place.

Others' experiences with loose tungsten powder?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Cementing Loose Tungsten Powder

Post by Vitamin K »

I haven't actually used Tungsten powder (still using lead for our builds), but I've been using a mixture of 5-minute epoxy, plus very fine sawdust (from sanding), as a wood filler, and have been pleased with the results. It dries very strong and sands very smooth. So I'd drill the hole, add the powder, then seal the top with the filler.

Are you concerned about the powder shifting around inside of the cavity?
FatSebastian wrote:I am curious who has used loose tungsten powder, and recommends ways to secure it. Mixing powder with epoxy appeared to be a popular option in the past, suggested for homemade weights, but this could be messy and potentially wasteful. In my case, I want to pour and pack a limited amount in a narrow hole and then seal the end of the hole. My first instinct was to put a few drops of CA glue to harden some / all of the powder in place.

sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

FatSebastian wrote:I am curious who has used loose tungsten powder, and recommends ways to secure it. Mixing powder with epoxy appeared to be a popular option in the past, suggested for homemade weights, but this could be messy and potentially wasteful. In my case, I want to pour and pack a limited amount in a narrow hole and then seal the end of the hole. My first instinct was to put a few drops of CA glue to harden some / all of the powder in place.

Got a picture of your current build, how you did your weight pocket ?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

sporty wrote:Got a picture of your current build, how you did your weight pocket ?
No pic, but for this question you might assume a small hole with a closed bottom of about 1/8" ~(4mm) diameter, like trim weight, for example.
Vitamin K wrote:Are you concerned about the powder shifting around inside of the cavity?
It goes without saying that I would be concerned about it spilling out. I'd prefer that it not sound like a maraca. :) If tamped and plugged, I suppose that shifting powder would not be a concern.

However, ideally, the thrust of the question is to explore adding something to the powder to make it solid, or mostly solid, once it is in a narrow hole.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Thin some epoxy before two part mix. I've done this with that super thin car I did years ago. And brushed it on to make it strong.

I see no reason a thinned out epoxy would not work. .

And please, let's see some pictures of the car
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Laserman »

Hi FS,

Trim weight eh?

Believe me when I say that you have my full attention.

I went looking for some of my first Puma Wheel Weights prototypes, but came up largely empty.

I will post a photo later.

To answer your question:

Yes. Thin CA glue works fine.

It is important to add the powder/ glue in stages to allow for a thorough soaking on the powder on the lower strata.

If you get it all wet with CA, then when it dries it is hard as a rock.

Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Laserman »

Hi FS,
It just occurred to me that if the diameter is 1/8" then it might be better to get a tungsten welding Rod and snap off a piece.
The solid stuff comes out to about twice as heavy as the powdered mixtures I was making.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

FS,

I know if you were makeing bullets and useing corbon tungsten powder.
1% accra wax could be used to help it together with moderate pressures..
and that the film coating also aids in binding the meteral when heated to form a more solid mass.

But like I say that's if we were packing bullets useing corbon tungsten power with 1% accra wax.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Laserman »

whodathunkit wrote:FS,

I know if you were makeing bullets and useing corbon tungsten powder.
1% accra wax could be used to help it together with moderate pressures..
and that the film coating also aids in binding the meteral when heated to form a more solid mass.

But like I say that's if we were packing bullets useing corbon tungsten power with 1% accra wax.
I like your style Whoda.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Laserman wrote:Thin CA glue works fine. It is important to add the powder/ glue in stages...
:thanks: Just what I needed to hear.
whodathunkit wrote:1% accra wax could be used to help it together with moderate pressures...
Interesting idea!