dial indicator, axle height check

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

dial indicator, axle height check

Post by sporty »

Here is a crued but not to hard tool to make and buy the dial indicator and get the flat tip for one.

While a level good flush uncut block of wood is needed. To check the even and levelness of your axles. It still is something for high end builders who are very competitive. Could consider to try, if they have not already.

This just provided a number, a reading, that can be used to check the other side. To see if you have your canted or level axles, close or if they are off allot.

A portion if going to depend on using a level block or very true pieces of wood to make the jig. to ensure accuracy in the readings and from one side to the other.

You will have to excuse my slightly bent add on flush adapter on the digital dial indicator, I did it years ago. When I realized the threads did not match from the kit I bought.

So make sure the threads are the same, when you buy the flat tip for the indicator..

I make sure that I mark the axles, where they will be at with the wheel on, when inserted into the wood. so that both axles are at the same length, when checking the angle of them. There is a few different ways to measure and check to ensure the axles are the same length, installed into the wood. mm ruler. ect.

If your dial indicator is stiff, you might have to use steel plate or something heavier then trying to use wood. it will lift up and not give a good reading.

You also want to make sure that you are 25% recessed with the dial indicator, it should not be full extended on the axle, but 25% recessed. to provide its own spring pressure and to read right. Some work with 30 to 40%, recessed. it all depends how good of a dial indicator you get or own.

make sure the bolt that mounts the dial indicator is tight and that the dial indicator does not wiggle or move at all !

I am sure that a different type of diy jig could also be made to check toe out or toe in. from a side ways mount jig. It would require a little more ingenuity and perhaps a narrower dial indicator. they make many different sizes and types.

this was a old block of wood, that I knew I had messed up on the drilling, I had left sitting around a few years for scrap. It was interesting to see the difference. Yes the axles are old and not all that pretty. I wanted to see if I could get the jig to work and I feel it does and shows the difference between the two.

This may help others, in there high end builds. with a good quality built jig. To know if they got the same cant on both sides of the rears or ect. Im sure a base mount jig would work too. I do have one of them aswell. But Its pretty dirty next to the lathe. And I got it set up where I want it. I hated to move my adjustments to just tinker with this jig.

I may see using my base plate dial indicator and take some pictures, trying different way to read.

Sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: dial indicator, axle height check

Post by sporty »

This is what I use to check wheel run out and so I decided to show this also.

This seems easier then the wooden jig I made to check that the axle height is the same on the rears on both sides.

this way would work without having to have a full un cut block of wood also.

here is examples.

I needed to add something on top to ensure the block did not tilt.

these rears are pretty close to the same angle as one another seen above.

I actually was off .003 and I did a little turn of the axles on each side, to get it closer, these are stock, untouched axles I used for the pictures.

All I would have to do , if they were finished axles and off a little is try and rotate the axles some to get the readings as close as possible and mark on the axle head, so I can put them back in with the wheels on, in the same positions.

So, Some day, if you are searching for better accuracy, checking your bent axles or drilled canted axles and want to check and try and have a better built speed demon. This info may help you go a little faster..

Sporty
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Sporty,

This dial indicator tool set up.. reminds me of a drill press set up.

Plus it also makes me think that the depth stop on a drill press could also be used
to ensure the axles are set to the same height.

It might be a different way of doing it with out the dial indicator.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

whodathunkit wrote:Sporty,

This dial indicator tool set up reminds me of a drill press..
It also makes me think that the depth stop on a drill press could also be used
to ensure the axles are set to the same height.
I don't think the depth stop is going to give a close enough reading.
my depth stop won't on my drill press. A laser reader would.
I don't know many drill presses under $150. That would have a depth stop that could read ten thousands of a difference.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Ok, It was just an idea.. Brainstorming .. Thinking outside the box if you will.

Why would you check the height of the axle top side and not from the bottom side of the axle?
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

whodathunkit wrote:Ok, It was just an idea.. Brainstorming .. Thinking outside the box if you will.

Why would you check the height of the axle top side and not from the bottom side of the axle?
That's a good question to ask. And trying the stop indicator on a drill press was not a bad idea. Thinking outside of the box is what I like. As long as it's within reason.
that was well within reason. Don't hurt to try it. See if it would even be close. Mine does not read that fine.

As for. Why read from the top and not the underside of the axle.
it would certainly be better to read from the underside. As that's where the wheel bore rides on the axle. Not to mention imperfections in the axle could leave that underside high or low. Even with reading from the top.

I was doing it that way. A summing if they had cut the wood first or was checking a car that's had some wood removed already.
if they remove wood from the bottom. Then the top read way would not be that good either.
it's still depending on a true piece of wood on the bottom.
Versus the first wooden jig. Needed a full block of wood not cut.
maybe a metal thin ruler bent in u shape or something. But same issue. I don't know a easier way to measure ten or twenty thousands close or accurate enough. Really anything that can't read the difference from .003 is a issue.
it's a pretty critical area to have the same height..

The smiller the dial indicator is. The price goes up allot.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Here is another possible way, a little harder and from the bottom. underside of the axle.

I used my carpenters square, its rusty, but all I had to try this. and a clamp to secure it.

So I can read the gap between the steel plate and the axle.

I moved the plate forward some, to show it better for the picture.

Another option. I don't have one that small to try it.

Sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

The HFS granite check (stand) comparator stand plate. ebay with free shipping.

Does not include dial indicator. for those who would want one. This is not the one I have, but one like it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HFS-GRANITE-SUR ... 4186df5c77

There our a ton of cheap dial indicators out there on ebay.

you want atleast 1 inch of travel and .001 or better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-1-TRAVEL- ... 45fdf647a3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-1-DIAL-IN ... 462b928991

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-250-0-100 ... 45feb18338

Keep in mind, you get what you pay for in this field.

digital one, like I have, $50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-indicat ... 259166e131

So, hope that's enough info, if you desire one.

And if you are looking for v blocks to use to check wheel run out and o.d. trueness with pin gages.

v blocks.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/p ... &category=

about the cheapest I can find --

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TTC-V-Blocks-Ma ... 4ac35bc223

one more option-

http://www.victornet.com/subdepartments ... s/260.html

Now ,

pin gages.

here are links to ebay, for those who want to start getting some over time, since they can average about $3 each with shipping.

I use vermont gage.
.093.5 part # 111309350
.094 part # 111109400
.094.5 part # 111309450
.095 part # 111109500
.096 part # 111109600
.096.5 part # 111309650
.097 part # 111109700
.097.5 part # 111309750
.098 part # 111109800

while there is still finer sizes between these listed, it is a good guide and gage, it has done well for me.

Ebay has them also, but the shipping seems to be very high. versus going thru them.

Sporty