Front end advice PICS

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Front end advice PICS

Post by Noskills »

Just finished helping my son with his car. It's all pine, 1/4 inch and hollowed out. 1/64 birch veneer and decal over that. Stock wheels and we got just over 23 cubes. 12 in back and 11 in front. COM of 0.5. We don't weight the front as we have only one scale but set our drift based on experience. We went with 2.5 inches over 4 ft with a 5.25 wheelbase.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

bracketracer wrote:Davet, if you're going to be adding 1/64" plywood to the bottom I think you'll be fine with your current setup. You're nearly at 17 grams on the DFW already, by the time you add a skin of plywood and a sheet of label paper on top I bet you'll be pushing 19 grams or more.

I didn't see where you mentioned what configuration of track it'll be racing on, but if it's a Best track I would be happy with 19 grams or even a little less if I was confident in the rear axle drill. If it's a continuous arc ramp and it's smooth I'd go even a little lighter in the nose. If it's a homemade "gravel road", I'd be shooting for 22 or 23 g and praying.........

Best of luck!

p.s. Some of the cars you read about that are running 12 x 12 cube packages are running lighter wheels than a cub build and ultralight bodies. Some of the cars aren't even pine (gasp!)!
My kids ran. 12 cubes in front of rear axle and 12 behind. Was pine. The spoon design. Was pretty much stock wheels. Only o.d. trued.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Noskills wrote:Just finished helping my son with his car. It's all pine, 1/4 inch and hollowed out. 1/64 birch veneer and decal over that. Stock wheels and we got just over 23 cubes. 12 in back and 11 in front. COM of 0.5. We don't weight the front as we have only one scale but set our drift based on experience. We went with 2.5 inches over 4 ft with a 5.25 wheelbase.
Noskills
Sounds similar to ours but I actually have "No Skills" so we'll be running a more conservative COM. I was able to get .72" with .65 oz on DFW. This was with 12 behind, one in between rear wheels, 3 in front of axle along with an 1/8" cube. .07 oz of putty at front axle.

Last yr we ran this same COM and a DFW weight of .65 oz. She was very fast and was faster with 4" over 4 feet than at 3.5" in 4 feet. We had a wheelbase last yr of 5 9/16".
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

sporty wrote:
bracketracer wrote: My kids ran. 12 cubes in front of rear axle and 12 behind. Was pine. The spoon design. Was pretty much stock wheels. Only o.d. trued.
I saw a pic of that car. Pretty thin in the middle. That's the one that made me wonder how you could fit all that in there and still have a COM over .5" We're kitchen table tuners including the 2 cracks for the extra leaf added. I could never tune a car on the edge like that.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Noskills wrote:Just finished helping my son with his car. It's all pine, 1/4 inch and hollowed out. 1/64 birch veneer and decal over that. Stock wheels and we got just over 23 cubes. 12 in back and 11 in front. COM of 0.5. We don't weight the front as we have only one scale but set our drift based on experience. We went with 2.5 inches over 4 ft with a 5.25 wheelbase.
Noskills
What direction did you run the grain on your plywood, front to back or side to side?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

The spoon cars. Mostly have a 3/8 to 5/8. Balance point.

It vAries due to tinkering. But the wood density and sometime I very the thickness a little with the wood.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

What? No pictures? C'mon man! ;)
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Photos are coming when my daughter finishes. She is slowing down team Noskils :D
Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

Noskills wrote: 1/64 birch veneer and decal over that.
Seth-

I've been using 1/32 birch veneer on my builds but would love to find some 1/64. I get the 1/32 stuff at Hobby Lobby. Where were you able to find 1/64?

thanks,

birddog
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I have gotten 1/64 from ebay. Shipping costs bite.
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Topspin.D »

In my area the 1/64th is only available at a few hobby shops. You have to go to a store that sells RC air plane materials to get it.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

I live near TopspinD so I think I must have been mistaken and I have 1/32. Got it at Micheals. Anyway its thin enough and I like that it gives some strength to the car (my car cars are thin and narrow). I have also used thicker balsa with ca glue but our stop section is rough and the car gets chipped.
Seth
Napoleon Dynamite
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Vitamin K wrote:What? No pictures? C'mon man! ;)
MUST HAVE PICS.! :eager:

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Well, my boy wants fast more than a hull front end so we sanded her flat and added a piece then tapered it down. I think we'll end up with around .59 oz on DFW.
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

davet wrote:Well, my boy wants fast more than a hull front end so we sanded her flat and added a piece then tapered it down. I think we'll end up with around .59 oz on DFW.
Should be good. If your pack/district is using Warren's tracks then the track will be in good condition and you can be pretty aggressive with your COM.