Dremel bit for routing out weight pockets?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Dremel bit for routing out weight pockets?

Post by Vitamin K »

For those of you who like to Dremel (and I know you're out there), which bit do you prefer for routing out weight pockets in car bodies? Right now, all I have is the little rotary sanding thing, which is very useful, but not so great for routing.

I'm thinking of something like this: Image

Of course, the 'high speed cutter' heads come in different shape, like egg, teardrop, sphere, cylinder...and I have no idea which to select? Any suggestions?
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Dremel bit for routing out weight pockets?

Post by ngyoung »

I would go with one of these. All will give straight flat edges. A 1/8" would probably be fine and make tighter rounded corners. I use a 1/4" bit on a standard router and just drill small holes in the corners before I start with the router.

Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

I have used the 2nd and 3rd dremel bits pictured in ngyoung's post. Both do a fine job routing out weight pockets. Be careful of 'tear out' around the weight pocket perimeters though. At high rpm's router bits like these can sometimes cause 'tear out' at the perimeter of the weight pocket holes. :eek:

To mitigate this risk, I give myself some extra room when routing along the inside edges of each weight pocket, and then I carve out my inside edges of the weight pockets with an X-ACTO knife by hand to minimize 'tear out' mistakes.

I use my scrollsaw to cut my weight pockets so I can get very precise edge lines on my weight pocket holes (but I know not everyone has access to a saw).

The dremel bits 2 and 3 shown do a good job from my experiences.

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

I use the 1/8th in. I am not so good at it an get the tear outs that Scrollsawer is referring to. I drill out the corners and drill every 1/4 in along the straight line I was to route out. I also route at a depth of 1/8th in then go to 1/4 in. If I do get the tear outs I file the inside wall flat and rub in a little wood putty (if its a wall with the axle hole I insert an old axle first).

I am messy but I get the job done. I also dont like to leave too much work for the file and exacto knife as the car is so fragile at that point I am always worried I will break it.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

VK,
The router bits .. ngyoung is showing.
I would not try useing these router bits.. ( in just a reg hand held Dremel rotary tool.)

I would up-grade the Dremel rotary tool to the Dremel Trio model 6800.
For routing out the weight pockets..
Because of the adjustable handle, big base & the saw dust collector port for a shop vac. ;)
http://mdm.boschwebservices.com/files/r ... 560v17.jpg
Last edited by whodathunkit on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Whoda,

That's exactly what I have (Dremel Trio). Works well with these router bits. You would need to rig up some sort of base and plunge router capability if using a standard Dremel tool.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Scrollsawer wrote: That's exactly what I have (Dremel Trio). Works well with these router bits.
Scrollsawer, the router bits ngyoung shown are made for the Dremel Trio as far as I know.

However:
I don't see why these router bits couldent be used with the standard rotary tool..
with the router or plung router attachments.

I like the trio for the saw dust collector port that the router and plung router attchments dont have.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

The problem Whoda, is that the Collett size on the Trio isn't the same as the Collett size on the other Dremels.so the bits aren't compatible between the two Dremel types.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

I was hopeing you would say that Scrollsawer!

I have a trio that I haven't used much at all.. so thanks for the info.
Most of the time like you I just use the scroll saw or a palm router for makeing weight pockets.

And thank's to VK, & ngyoung, as well for there info..
I'm going to look into geting some dremel trio routing bits for it. :thumbup: