No Weight Allowed???

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

No Weight Allowed???

Post by Vitamin K »

So, they handed out the rule for my kids' Awana Grand Prix, which happens next month.

Extremely sparse ruleset. But there's one big one: No added weights allowed.

I think that this is an attempt to put kids on equal footing, and to prevent having to weigh cars due to time constraints. However, I don't think they realize what the consequences of this rule are going to be. I'm trying to put together an email to the planning committee, explaining that the rules are pretty much punishing anybody who decides to actually cut a nice looking race car shape out of their block of wood, due to weight loss.

Not to mention, not every block of wood weighs the same.

But,..supposing that these are the rules...how could I possibly give my kids a competitive edge?

Here's what I'm thinking:

- Pay lots of attention to axle and bore polishing. Kill as much friction as possible.
- Good alignment. I need to suss out whether the track is a rail-guided or edge-guided one.
- Graphite! (duh)
- Take the block, cut it into smaller blocks and triangles. Re-arrange these pieces so that the weight is concentrated to the rear. Epoxy back together and sand into final shape, keeping as much wood as possible.

How else would you deviously clever people approach such a limiting ruleset?
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: No Weight Allowed???

Post by LightninBoy »

Vitamin K wrote:So, they handed out the rule for my kids' Awana Grand Prix, which happens next month.

I think that this is an attempt to put kids on equal footing, and to prevent having to weigh cars due to time constraints. However, I don't think they realize what the consequences of this rule are going to be. I'm trying to put together an email to the planning committee, explaining that the rules are pretty much punishing anybody who decides to actually cut a nice looking race car shape out of their block of wood, due to weight loss.

But,..supposing that these are the rules...how could I possibly give my kids a competitive edge?

Here's what I'm thinking:

- Pay lots of attention to axle and bore polishing. Kill as much friction as possible.
- Good alignment. I need to suss out whether the track is a rail-guided or edge-guided one.
- Graphite! (duh)
- Take the block, cut it into smaller blocks and triangles. Re-arrange these pieces so that the weight is concentrated to the rear. Epoxy back together and sand into final shape, keeping as much wood as possible.

:burningmad:

Man, just one you think rules couldn't get any dumber. :wall:

Is there anything in the rules about adding additional materials? Decorations and such? If that's allowed, I'd buy the tungsten canopy and call it a decoration. If that is pushing this idiotic rule too much, I'd buy the heaviest decorations I can and pile them on to the back of the car. Maybe find some cool pewter figures at a gaming store and put them on the back.

Assuming no added materials or decorations our allowed ... I'd think about building the car like below. The basic idea here is to move as much wood as you can from the front of the block and pile it onto the back then shape it to make it a bit more aerodynamic. It would be really unstable though ...

knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

I think I would try to up the moisture content of my wood block.........

Bucket of water and a brick till race time :wall:
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

I've asked for clarifications regarding decorations, since lots of people stick stuff onto their cars, right? If you're banning added weight, you need to take that into account. I've also pointed out the pitfalls the rule creates. No reply yet, but I don't really expect much satisfaction there.

Lightninboy's thinking is pretty much where my thoughts are...though probably not as extreme as that. Of course, the kids have ideas on how they want their cars to look and, ultimately, I gotta bow to that. Just so long as they know what the speed sacrifices might be.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

I like the lead decoration idea. I once used a lead spoiler that added a 1/2 ounce or so. I think you would do better not cutting so much off the block and stacking it on the back. I might cut a cube off the front, round off your nose, then turn the square into a dome and glue it on the back.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Can you grind up the block and re-form it into the standard car shape under very highly compressed conditions (using an appropriately dense/heavy binder? 8)

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Vitamin K wrote:So, they handed out the rule for my kids' Awana Grand Prix, which happens next month.

No added weight such as lead or tungsten.. ( just all wood weight right?)

I think your idea for cuting the car into triangles will work. ;)
I'd find a very heavy block to start with and cut it half by makeing to wedges.
Flip the top wedge around and glue it back on.

(note:) the top drawing is off with wedge cut running the wrong way.
Image.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

If decorations are allowed, then I'd get some heavy decorations. Actually, I often have heavy decorations anyway. Many of my cars have less than 10g of weight added, not counting the decorations and adhesives.

If decorations are not allowed, then I'd keep as much wood as possible and use as heavy an adhesive as I could find. I like the idea of making a double-height wedge by cutting off a triangle from the front and moving it to the back, something like this:

Code: Select all

____
|    ----____
|            ----____
|____________________----____
|                            ----____
|                                    ----____
|____________________________________________----____
Regardless, I'd try to get the rules fixed for next year (assuming that I couldn't get them fixed for the current year).
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

whodathunkit wrote:

No added weight such as lead or tungsten.. ( just all wood weight right?)

I think your idea for cuting the car into triangles will work. ;)
I'd find a very heavy block to start with and cut it half by makeing to wedges.
Flip the top wedge around and glue it back on.

(note:) the top drawing is off with wedge cut running the wrong way.
Image.
Looks golden to me...
W Racing!!!!
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

The decoration aspect is the key.

Call the car "Loose Change" and use coinage if allowed.

If no decorations, find the heaviest kit you can. Cut it in two. First piece is a 1/4" slab to build the actual car out of. Drill your holes, everything. SEAL it very good with clear coat. Take the remainder and as was suggested, soak the living daylights out of it in water to add weight. Glue it on beforehand the race. The sealed part "should" not warp from the moisture. I'm sure the more seasoned woodworkers can tell you better on that aspect.
Derby Evolution
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Derby Evolution »

Loose change is a good idea, you could also get parts at various stores that are shaped. Big spoiler, side pipes, a driver, ect. You could also gets some rocks and glue them to the top and call it Rolling Stones! These are decorations not weights.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Coins are disallowed, as is anything metal (e.g. paperclips).

I don't know about the soaking route. For one, it's kind of sneaky (it's a Church-based organization, c'mon now :angel:). Also, the kids wanna paint their cars and whatnot, so I don't think wet wood is good for that.

I like whoda's double-wedge idea. I will probably go with something like that, let the kids paint (as many coats as you want, kids!) and work with them to get the wheels and axles uberpolished and lubed.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Vitamin K wrote:Coins are disallowed, as is anything metal (e.g. paperclips).

I don't know about the soaking route. For one, it's kind of sneaky (it's a Church-based organization, c'mon now :angel:). Also, the kids wanna paint their cars and whatnot, so I don't think wet wood is good for that.

I like whoda's double-wedge idea. I will probably go with something like that, let the kids paint (as many coats as you want, kids!) and work with them to get the wheels and axles uberpolished and lubed.
Vitamin K, So must the weight be made from woods?
If the car must be all wood weight only.
Have you ever heard of these heavy woods ?

1: Black Iron Wood 84.5 lbs/ft3 (1,355kg/m3)
2: Itin- 79.6 lbs/ft3 (1,275 kg/m3)
3: African Black wood 79.3 lbs/ft3 (1,270kg/m3)
4: Lignum vitae 78.5 lbs/ft3 (1,257kg/m3)
5: Quebracho 77.1 lbs/ft3 (1,235kg/m3)
6: Leadwood 75.8 lbs/ft3 (1,215kg/m3)
7: Desert Iron wood 75.4 lbs/ft3 (1,208kg/m3)
8: King wood 74.9 lbs/ft3 (1,200kg/m3)
9: Verawood 74.4 lbs/ft3 (1,192kg/m3)
10: Camelthorn 74.1 lbs/ft (1,185kg/m3) ;)
Last edited by whodathunkit on Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

I like the idea of using heavier woods and decorate with those.

Maybe a psuedo plank and child's name out of a much denser wood cut out and sitting on top?
Davhamm
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Davhamm »

Any update on this race? I just noticed the OP said they are not weighing the cars. Wow this seems like a contest to add as much weight with out using metal.

How about glueing on some Rock's it can be the rock and roll mobile.