SLOW DOWN!

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: SLOW DOWN!

Post by whodathunkit »

Yeah! were a pair of sore thumbs. :oops:
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Next time try ca glue. Drop little spot welding droplets along the length of the laceration. It's the same stuff as Dermabron we use in the ER. I have done it many times. Stuck a knife into my thumb carving pumpkins this year.
Dr. Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Noskills wrote:Next time try ca glue. Drop little spot welding droplets along the length of the laceration. It's the same stuff as Dermabron we use in the ER. I have done it many times. Stuck a knife into my thumb carving pumpkins this year.
Dr. Noskills
The uses of CA just never ends.
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

LightninBoy wrote:
Noskills wrote:Next time try ca glue. Drop little spot welding droplets along the length of the laceration. It's the same stuff as Dermabron we use in the ER. I have done it many times. Stuck a knife into my thumb carving pumpkins this year.
Dr. Noskills
The uses of CA just never ends.
I've heard about using super glue on lacerations. Funny...my mind never 'goes there' after a cut happens. I'm always headed to the gauze and tape. CA glue probably works better. Thanks for the good advice! There's usually CA glue around whenever Derby cars are being built.

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Scrollsawer wrote: I'm sure I'm not the only one who's done this.
Was in a bit of a rush to get my adult division car moving along last night, so I was trying to expedite the cuts at the scrollsaw when the wood block jumped and pulled my thumb into the blade.
True words spoken from Scrollsawer!
I also found my self pushing the wood against the blade trying to make it cut faster
then feed rate of the blade and saw could handle when I nicked my thumb also.

It is not funny how the first thing removed from the scrollsaws by alot of scrollers now or days
is the blade guard and hold down foot. (Why.. Because it gets in the way!)
From doing alot of very tight inside freat or puzzle work by trying to turn the wood on the table.
Alot of scrollers are also useing finger tips to keep from nicking there fingers or thumbs as well
With the blade guard and hold down foot removed from there saws also.
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/11/13/00 ... 00X500.jpg

Now or days there cutting leather or even stacks of paper with scrollsaws.
Heres a photo of some finger guards I seen in a scrollsaw magazine for cutting paper
and holding it down while working very close to the blade with the guard removed.
Or there putting the paper in between thin woods as seen in this video.
But take a look at what you dont see as it has been removed from the saw?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du8ydHQkyXg

Me..
I'm putting the blade guard back on my scrollsaw and going to learn to work with it & around it
instead of with out it! (It's like haveing a roll bar for the race car!) ;)
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

whodathunkit wrote:
Scrollsawer wrote: I'm sure I'm not the only one who's done this.
Was in a bit of a rush to get my adult division car moving along last night, so I was trying to expedite the cuts at the scrollsaw when the wood block jumped and pulled my thumb into the blade.
True words spoken from Scrollsawer!
I also found my self pushing the wood against the blade trying to make it cut faster
then feed rate of the blade and saw could handle when I nicked my thumb also.

It is not funny how the first thing removed from the scrollsaws by alot of scrollers now or days
is the blade guard and hold down foot. (Why.. Because it gets in the way!)
From doing alot of very tight inside freat or puzzle work by trying to turn the wood on the table.
Alot of scrollers are also useing finger tips to keep from nicking there fingers or thumbs as well
With the blade guard and hold down foot removed from there saws also.
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/11/13/00 ... 00X500.jpg

Now or days there cutting leather or even stacks of paper with scrollsaws.
Heres a photo of some finger guards I seen in a scrollsaw magazine for cutting paper
and holding it down while working very close to the blade with the guard removed.
Or there putting the paper in between thin woods as seen in this video.
But take a look at what you dont see as it has been removed from the saw?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du8ydHQkyXg

Me..
I'm putting the blade guard back on my scrollsaw and going to learn to work with it & around it
instead of with out it! (It's like haveing a roll bar for the race car!) ;)
Interesting fingers guards there. I wonder if they work well. Great resources you posted there Whoda. Thanks!!!

And Yep, I need to put my safety guard back on my saw too. :angel:

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Scrollsawer wrote: Interesting fingers guards there. I wonder if they work well. Great resources you posted there Whoda. Thanks!!!

And Yep, I need to put my safety guard back on my saw too. :angel:
Scrollsawer!
I was looking through some of my old scroll saw magazines to see if I could find the finger guards.

I found them in a 2006 holiday issue of creative woodworks & crafts for cutting greeting cards.
However the ones seen were made of wood.. and called "wooden fingernails" in the Magazine.
Check this out :

I have used the ones I made..
There kinda awkward to use at first.. cutting paper on the scroll saw is not my forte at all.
I really don't use them much any more but there still handy to have from time to time for smaller projects.