What is this? Spacer next to DFW?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
davidwilkie
Pine Head
Pine Head

What is this? Spacer next to DFW?

Post by davidwilkie »

Was perusing photos for design ideas and noted what looks like a square washer or something inside of the DFW in this photo

Curious if anyone knows what it is or what it is for?
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: What is this? Spacer next to DFW?

Post by ngyoung »

It is a washer. Often used in league racing but there are a few scout packs thatcare allowing them. You can get them madecout of teflon or delrin. Their coefficient of friction is much lower then the wood body and harder so your wheel doesn't rub a groove in the body.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

:rulepolice:

Check your rules close. ;)

The main body stucture must be made of wood.
The car design may be enhanced by the addition of other stable materials such as plastic or metal,
any additions must be firmly attched and meet car size requirements.

No part of the car or any attachments to the car may be capable of coming in contact of the track..
other then the wheels.

Prohibited items: bearings, bushings, washers, sleeves, hub caps or inserts to or in contact with the axle, body, or wheels.

Just some of the ways I've seen some rule sets read that factor into the car design.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

We have a similar (no washers, no bearings) rule.
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Topspin.D »

[no advertising for this vendor] sells some plastic that can be inlaid in the side of the body before drilling. I would argue that this gets around the no bearing or washer rules.

Alternatively, we like to use low friction tape (sold as drawer glide tape @ woodworking stores) as a faster way to get the same outcome.
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

I am pretty sure that [no advertising for this vendor] is just selling sheets of UHMW or teflon.
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Topspin.D wrote:[no advertising for this vendor] sells some plastic that can be inlaid in the side of the body before drilling. I would argue that this gets around the no bearing or washer rules. Alternatively, we like to use low friction tape (sold as drawer glide tape @ woodworking stores) as a faster way to get the same outcome.
This is exactly why we got rid of the washer restriction in the Northern Star Council rules. So maybe we prevent the [no advertising for this vendor] like slide guides and obvious washers, but what about the cars that have monokote going right up the holes? How do we rule against that? Could be just how they covered the car rather than trying to gain some advantage. Even if we added some rule to prevent this, its unlikely a car would be disqualified just because of this. Also, that Teflon tape is mostly transparent brown and would be extremely difficult to detect.

And really, what's wrong with a scout trying some different material and learning about friction coefficients? The material itself (Teflon tape, stainless steel washers, delrin, whatever) is super cheap and doesn't take any special tools or skill to work with. Its pretty much cut and glue.

Anyways, just something to think about in case you have any influence on your PWD rules.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Are washers that much of a benefit? I mean, for the rears, your axles are gonna run on the nail heads, so they won't really rub up much. On the DFW, it might contact the body, but the weight is far less. Also, when I rub several fingersful of graphite into the bare wood, it feels pretty slick to me.
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Vitamin K wrote:Are washers that much of a benefit? I mean, for the rears, your axles are gonna run on the nail heads, so they won't really rub up much. On the DFW, it might contact the body, but the weight is far less. Also, when I rub several fingersful of graphite into the bare wood, it feels pretty slick to me.
Honestly no. That's another reason to consider removing the rule against them, IMO.

Washer/Slide guide material is most impactful when 1) rail-riding, AND 2) at the DFW, AND 3) when using oil. When you have that combination, you have the need for some type of slick surface for the DFW to rub against that won't foul your oil. Otherwise ... yep graphite on wood does the job.
davidwilkie
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by davidwilkie »

Teflon tape as in plumber's tape? That stuff is so thin. How to apply it?

Presume by drawer slide tape something like this? TapeCase 423-5 UHMW Tape 1/2" x 5yds (1 Roll)
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Topspin.D »

Yes that's it.

The other reason to use a spacer is when you use 1 gram wheels. .. some like to run them inside out because they're so thin.. you need a spacer to keep them off the car body.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Topspin.D wrote:The other reason to use a spacer is when you use 1 gram wheels. .. some like to run them inside out because they're so thin.. you need a spacer to keep them off the car body.
I wanna say that the ultralite wheels sold by one vendor (which are Mid-America legal) actually require that you run them backwards, with a spacer.
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

Pretty much any wheel under 1g is too flexible to run on the outside edge. The solution is then to run on the inside edge and to do that for the back wheels with a negative cant is to install them backwards and use a thick washer as a spacer so the face of the wheel doesn't rub the body.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

LightninBoy wrote: That's another reason to consider removing the rule against them, IMO.
Washer/Slide guide material is most impactful when 1) rail-riding, AND 2) at the DFW, AND 3) when using oil. When you have that combination, you have the need for some type of slick surface for the DFW to rub against that won't foul your oil. Otherwise ... yep graphite on wood does the job.
What about the rears when the wheels drop out from under the car in the stoping pit..
and the weight is off the wheels causeing them to run back to the car body?

You wouldent want graphite rubed in the car body at the rear wheels.. as well if running oil lube. ;)
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
asatxj
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by asatxj »

Instead of painting I've taken up wrapping my cars in vinyl that I get for free from a local sign shop. Quick and gives a slick surface if a little oil or graphite is applied.
Awana Commander
Jeep Fleet Maintenance Director
Dad
Bowhunter
I can't break the rules, I write them
!