Drill Press vs. Dremel for axle polishing?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
davidwilkie
Pine Head
Pine Head

Drill Press vs. Dremel for axle polishing?

Post by davidwilkie »

I see a lot of references to polishing axles on a drill press -- which I have -- and less so on a Dremel -- which I also have and have historically used.

The Dremel obviously can go to much higher RPM if desired. My Dremel has variable speed, but the reason I use it is to go to higher RPMs than the drill press will go to.

Is there any school of thought on which is better? Or rather the benefits / drawbacks of higher RPM?

I presume many use drill presses simply because they have them and they work fine. My sense is faster RPM makes less work (less time) of the process, but curious what the school of thought is!
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Drill Press vs. Dremel for axle polishing?

Post by LightninBoy »

davidwilkie wrote:I see a lot of references to polishing axles on a drill press -- which I have -- and less so on a Dremel -- which I also have and have historically used.

The Dremel obviously can go to much higher RPM if desired. My Dremel has variable speed, but the reason I use it is to go to higher RPMs than the drill press will go to.

Is there any school of thought on which is better? Or rather the benefits / drawbacks of higher RPM?

I presume many use drill presses simply because they have them and they work fine. My sense is faster RPM makes less work (less time) of the process, but curious what the school of thought is!
I've always used my Dremel (variable speed like yours) mounted to the Dremel workstation for axle polishing. Apart from the RPMs making the process a little faster, I think overall its less intimidating for scouts and allows them to get into a comfortable (sitting) position. As far as results go, anything that will spin the axle with reasonable runout will give you the same end result.
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

If i had a dremel i would use it for polishing. My drill press maxes out at ~3000rpms
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

davidwilkie wrote:Is there any school of thought on which is better? Or rather the benefits / drawbacks of higher RPM?
I have both a drill press and dremel tool and have used both in axle work. When working with coarser grits of sandpaper or a file you can inadvertantly reduce axle diameter in a hurry if the RPMs are too high. A reduce axle diameter is generally not preferred. For the last year or so I have used only my drill press when working on axles (partly because it's already sitting out and avaialble).
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

BallBoy wrote:
davidwilkie wrote:Is there any school of thought on which is better? Or rather the benefits / drawbacks of higher RPM?
I have both a drill press and dremel tool and have used both in axle work. When working with coarser grits of sandpaper or a file you can inadvertantly reduce axle diameter in a hurry if the RPMs are too high. A reduce axle diameter is generally not preferred. For the last year or so I have used only my drill press when working on axles (partly because it's already sitting out and avaialble).
+1

I prefer control over speed/RPMs. My drill press does a fine job of getting the axles in good working order.

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

I have to wrap tape around my axles if I'm going to fit them into my Dremel. Since axle polishing is time-consuming as it is, I elected to use a plug-in hand drill for polishing. I clamped it to my worktable and the kids and I went to town. Faster than the drill press, and I can chuck the axles directly without padding them.
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Topspin.D »

Rotary tool - not Dremel brand but the same thing - for polishing. Mine came with a smaller collet that will hold a BSA axle.

Filing is not done under power.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I use both the drill press and the dremel. I mount the nail in the drill press, put Brasso on a cotton wheel in the dremel and turn them both on. This allows me to brace my hands on the work bench and not have to move it. I can keep steady pressure on the nail.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

I use the drill press for sanding at lower speeds and the Dremel for polishing at high speeds.

For the Dremel there are 4 different collets sizes.
(The older Dremel tool collets may not be marked.)

The newer Dremel collets are marked with corresponding shank sizes..
No rings- 1/8 inch (480), 1 ring- 1/32 inch (483), 2 rings- 1/16 inch (482) 3 rings- 3/32 inch (481).
The collet size I use most for holding the axle is the 3/32.

Then there is the keyless chuck also (4486)
Anyone like useing the 3 jaw keyless chuck over the 4 jaw collet for clamping the axle?
Last edited by whodathunkit on Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Vitamin K wrote:I have to wrap tape around my axles if I'm going to fit them into my Dremel. Since axle polishing is time-consuming as it is, I elected to use a plug-in hand drill for polishing. I clamped it to my worktable and the kids and I went to town. Faster than the drill press, and I can chuck the axles directly without padding them.
whodathunkit wrote: Anyone like useing the 3 jaw keyless chuck over the 4 jaw collet for claming the axle?
Yeah, I use the chuck exclusively. I should've mentioned that. I just assumed everybody got the chuck first thing and threw away that useless collet.
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

We use a dremel in a dremil drill press stand mounted sideways. Easy to use inside at the kitchen table. :lipssealed:
W Racing!!!!
davidwilkie
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by davidwilkie »

Speedster wrote:I use both the drill press and the dremel. I mount the nail in the drill press, put Brasso on a cotton wheel in the dremel and turn them both on. This allows me to brace my hands on the work bench and not have to move it. I can keep steady pressure on the nail.
So you run the drill press and Dremel at the same time? Very interesting idea on polishing!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Yep, I run them both at the same time. When I would put the nail in a vise and try to go around it with the Dremel, the nail would tend to "grab" it at different positions. With the drill press turning the nail for me I can maintain an even pressure and I don't get that "grab". I doubt I get a better polish than anyone else. It's just a bit easier for me.
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

Speedster wrote:Yep, I run them both at the same time. When I would put the nail in a vise and try to go around it with the Dremel, the nail would tend to "grab" it at different positions. With the drill press turning the nail for me I can maintain an even pressure and I don't get that "grab". I doubt I get a better polish than anyone else. It's just a bit easier for me.
Try using just one device and place the axle in that device and spin the axle leaving the strips of sandpaper mostly still.
W Racing!!!!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

We are allowed to use the China axles and I no longer do any sanding. I polish them with Brasso, clean them with water, dry them, put them in 91% Isopropyl Alcohol for 15 minutes, dry them and I'm finished. I used to sand them with 3M, 3000 grit, Trizact performance paper, Part # 03064, available from Auto Zone. I wondered if I was doing more harm than good so I stopped all sanding. I like to spend lots of time on wheel bore prep.