With Puma weights should rest of tungsten be behind axle?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
davidwilkie
Pine Head
Pine Head

With Puma weights should rest of tungsten be behind axle?

Post by davidwilkie »

My boys wanted to try something new this year so we are going with the Puma weights

http://www.derbymonkeygarage.com/mobile ... x?id=37977

If we want a low COM car (5/8" or less) given the puma weights are at the axle, is it likely the rest of the weight (tungsten cubes in our case) will need to be behind the axle?

Notes:
- standard wheelbase car with rear axle 5/8" from back
- puma pair weight about 1.75 oz. so we likely need to add another 2+ oz

We are wondering how much accommodation there might need to be for weights in front of axle and are wondering if even any at all?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: With Puma weights should rest of tungsten be behind axle

Post by Speedster »

I did numerous tests this past summer with a car I was able to move weights in different positions. With a stock wheelbase car (4 3/8") I think Sporty is correct. 1 1/2 ounces behind the rear axle slot is recommended. I have a wood track with a Micro Wizard timer so I don't have a track as perfect as the new aluminum ones. However, the car turned the fastest time with 1 1/2 oz. behind the rear axle slot.
However you decide to place your weights, I would be eager to learn the results.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: With Puma weights should rest of tungsten be behind axle

Post by Stan Pope »

davidwilkie wrote:My boys wanted to try something new this year so we are going with the Puma weights

If we want a low COM car (5/8" or less) given the puma weights are at the axle, is it likely the rest of the weight (tungsten cubes in our case) will need to be behind the axle?

Notes:
- standard wheelbase car with rear axle 5/8" from back
- puma pair weight about 1.75 oz. so we likely need to add another 2+ oz

We are wondering how much accommodation there might need to be for weights in front of axle and are wondering if even any at all?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Spend a few minutes experimenting with http://www.stanpope.net/cmcomput.htm. To get CM of .625" with a 4.375" wheelbase and assuming a total of 4 oz ballast required (body+wheels+axle = 1 oz), adding the PUMA wts moves the CM to 1.14" ahead of the rear axle. I need to add 2.25 more oz of ballast. The CM of the additional ballast would need to be 0" from the rear axle center! Not gonna work if I want to keep the the body at 1/4" thick! :) Since the sintered tungsten cubes weigh in at about 6 per ounce (I'm remembering right, aren't I?), that would be about 13-1/2 cubes to add. To keep the CM of the added cubes at 0", some need to go ahead of the axle and some behind! Since only 6 cubes fit across the car body, there is an odd cube to deal with, and symmetry won't tell how to arrange them. Back to cmcomput.htm! Alternatively, place 6 in front, 6 behind, both sets adjacent to the rear axle and add equal amounts of tungsten putty just beyond the cubes to bring the total to 5 ounces.

If, however, the wheelbase is extended to 4-5/8", then the ballast geometry changes and the CM of the cubes needs to go behind the rear axle by about a quarter of an inch. cmcomput.htm helps with that computation as it will with even more extended wheelbases!

Caveat: These computations assume a specific configuration of the unweighted body and the axle locations. Work out your own solutions for your specific case!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"