CMI Wheels

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: CMI Wheels

Post by Speedster »

My son and I had our 1st Derby in 1985. His 1st car, and all others, do not have CMI wheels. The newer wheel, with no lettering on the Outside and lettering on the Inside, was available in 1985 and that's what came in our kits. Whether the new wheel was available before 1985 I do not know. I never saw a CMI wheel before this Post. Our Pack acquired a Piantedosi track 3 years ago and there were a few old wheels in a box that came with the track. I didn't pay any attention to them. When I read this Post I remembered the box and found CMI wheels. I can only guess someone had them from their derby days and left them with the track because the track is not that old. Since Whoda is our Historian, I wanted to let him know my experience.
lylejt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lylejt »

I sent you an email. Thank you.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Speedster wrote:My son and I had our 1st Derby in 1985. His 1st car, and all others, do not have CMI wheels. The newer wheel, with no lettering on the Outside and lettering on the Inside, was available in 1985 and that's what came in our kits. Whether the new wheel was available before 1985 I do not know. I never saw a CMI wheel before this Post. Our Pack acquired a Piantedosi track 3 years ago and there were a few old wheels in a box that came with the track. I didn't pay any attention to them. When I read this Post I remembered the box and found CMI wheels. I can only guess someone had them from their derby days and left them with the track because the track is not that old. Since Whoda is our Historian, I wanted to let him know my experience.
Interesting! Son's cars from same era built from BSA kits purchased new at the time did contain CMI wheels. Wonder if our council's "Scout Shop" was selling old stock? Or, maybe, BSA had multiple suppliers?

It was a few years after that when the wheel dies changed. That change was investigated by folks in several US areas to assess the possible impact of mixing types in competitions, and we decided that it would be unfair to allow older deep well wheels from prior years (with their lower inertia) to be raced against the new wheels which most would have to use.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I think you're exactly right, Stan.
lylejt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lylejt »

Well here's an update. Previously my dad thought he got rid of the pinewood derby stuff a couple months ago. The other day he tells me he found another kit.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... mage_1.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... mage_2.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... mage_3.jpg