Please critique this Axle and Bore prep processes

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
davidwilkie
Pine Head
Pine Head

Please critique this Axle and Bore prep processes

Post by davidwilkie »

Would appreciate any critique of the axle and bore prep my sons have planned for their cars. Here it goes:

Axles:

1.Remove burs with nail file. Dremel turned off for this step. On for others.
2. Starting at grit 600, wet sand with strips (only about 5 seconds each for Dremel on high speed) including inside the nail head. Use a small piece of wood behind the strip for the last few seconds.
3. Progress through finer grits of wet sandpaper. Clean after each grit with a dedicated piece of chamois cloth for each grit (to keep micron abrasives separated).
4. Progress to Micro Mesh up to 12000, ditto clean after each with separate chamois piece
5. Polish with Brasso on piece of leather
6. Clean with chamois and then a string
7. Burnish with graphite using Jobe method

Axle Prep Questions:
A. I've read use Brasso instead of water to lube the sandpaper?
B. We used to leave ready to go axles in isopropyl alcohol until day before race, but that probably means waiting to burnish until then...do they really need to be protected from oxygen?
C. Anything else wrong or missing?

Wheel Bores
1. With cutoff Studio 35 Q-tip in a hand drill on slow speed (drill press too fast), polish inside of bores with Novus 2, 10 seconds or so (more?) from each direction
2. Clean wheels with pipe cleaner isopropyl alcohol and then in soapy water to remove Novus...let dry
3. Apply Red Rocket, let dry, remove excess, wait, then polish with pipe cleaner; repeat one more time
4. Blow with compressed air
5. Burnish with graphite using steel rode from one piece pinewood axle (polished to 3000 grit)

Wheel Bore Questions:
A. Not sure we have all the cleaning steps correct?
B. We have Novus 1 also...should they use it?
C. Mix graphite into the Red Rocket?
D. Red Rocket instructions mention waiting 24 hours and then "polish to cure" -- no idea what that is
D. Anything else wrong or missing?

Many thanks for any tips or comments!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Please critique this Axle and Bore prep processes

Post by sporty »

I have just waxed the axles. Instead of leave soaking in 90+ percent iso.

Then I just clean the wax off. When ready to finish prep. Ect.

I have tried using a variety of polish on the sand paper instead of water. I see nothing wrong with doing it. But sometimes I felt it made a better polished axles and sometimes when I just used water. I didn't see a difference.
Not much help there.

I was never able to get red rocket to work With graphite. I always had slower car times.
but. This may be more towards my way of how I do things. I have the same issue with other waxes Too.
humidity and temp and cure process seemed to be a factor too.
I would ask those who use it and works for them. To try and get the details of how they do it. To have best chance of getting right..

Overall. There is always a few ways to do things. That can lead to the same end result.

The process you are looking to do. Looks pretty solid to me.
many scouts do not put the time in. To get to that level of interest for speed. So. Such turn out very well for you.
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Topspin.D »

Sporty what kind of wax are you using on axles?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Topspin.D wrote:Sporty what kind of wax are you using on axles?
The last time was a 2013. Lol.
i used legends. I ran no two cars the same. I use to use tech wax 2.0.
Tried a ton of stuff. To go faster w graphite.
Legends and liquid gold worked well. Because it cures hard.. let sit a few days. A week.

Same thing everyone else has tried Really.
I could never get wax/ graphite in the bore to mix well . Work well. Sometimes It worked.

The racer x car in 2013. That did well in the graphite div. It was the fastest one I had. Just guess tuned the drift. No fine tuning done.

That was my micromesh bore prep. Done with in conjunction with novus 2 bore prep. Fyi. They had derby worx1.4 gram wheels. Derbyworx 91.
sized axles.
Sporty
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

sporty wrote:
Topspin.D wrote:Sporty what kind of wax are you using on axles?
Legends and liquid gold worked well. Because it cures hard.. let sit a few days. A week.

I could never get wax/ graphite in the bore to mix well . Work well. Sometimes It worked.

The racer x car in 2013. That did well in the graphite div. It was the fastest one I had. Just guess tuned the drift. No fine tuning done.

That was my micromesh bore prep. Done with in conjunction with novus 2 bore prep. Fyi. They had derby worx1.4 gram wheels. Derbyworx 91 sized axles.

Sporty
What is Legend's wax? The Liquid Gold you mentioned...is that the wood polish or can you give better description?
After Novus 2, which polish for wheel bores and oil? Thanks.
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

Legends is made from the same company that makes liquid glass and it is used for the same purpose. As the final bore coating after you're done polishing. It is the professional solution and costs $100 so it isn't used by too many.

davet wrote:
sporty wrote:

That was my micromesh bore prep. Done with in conjunction with novus 2 bore prep. Fyi. They had derby worx1.4 gram wheels. Derbyworx 91 sized axles.

Sporty
What is Legend's wax? The Liquid Gold you mentioned...is that the wood polish or can you give better description?
After Novus 2, which polish for wheel bores and oil? Thanks.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Sometimes a new potential customer can buy or get a free sample sized of the legends. Fyi.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Can Liquid Glass be used in the bores and is that available cheaper.
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

Yes. I used that for a few races before I got Red Rocket. Locally you can get a bottle for around $30 or on Amazon for around $20.

No matter the brand they all can pretty much be applied the same. Add a thin layer to clean wheel bore after polishing with novus2 or other scratch remover , let dry 10mins,blow off excess, let dry another 15-20mins,buff clean, and let cure for 24hrs.

I don't have a good reference for any speed difference because I changed other parts as well when I got the RR.
davet wrote:Can Liquid Glass be used in the bores and is that available cheaper.
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Topspin.D »

Sporty... what caught my eye in your comment was that you implied that you wax the axles (and wheel bores). Did I misread your comment?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Topspin.D wrote:Sporty... what caught my eye in your comment was that you implied that you wax the axles (and wheel bores). Did I misread your comment?
No. I have done both or one or the other. With graphite. To find more speed over just graphite.