How light are your Mid America Wheels?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

How light are your Mid America Wheels?

Post by birddog »

Now that the build process is over, thought I'd ask those that are sending in cars for the MA race, how light you were able to get with your wheels?

Given I don't have access to a lathe to do the wheels myself, I ended up purchasing them from a vendor. I spent $30 on some 1.4 gram wheels, which for 3 cars, really adds up. I see some vendors have wheels for MA that are as light as 1 gram, but cost $50. That is just too steep for my blood.

I'd be curious to know how many folks are able to get their wheels that light and how they end up performing in the race. Lighter wheels are a definite advantage, so wonder what others have been able to do in this area.

birddog
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: How light are your Mid America Wheels?

Post by Vitamin K »

We just went with stock wheels that we trued using the Derbyworx wheel shaver. They weighed somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.5->2.4 grams when we were done.

We're pretty much sure that we don't have a shot at the winners' circle, but just wanna see how the builds do, and get an idea of how we can improve.

If the kids get bit by the competitive bug, I'll let them spend their own allowances for lathed wheels next time. ;)
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: How light are your Mid America Wheels?

Post by Noskills »

I also went with last years 1.4 gm wheels (prepped of course) This time I tried a 92 non-grooved axle for the DFW with 93 grooved for the rears. Sent in one scout graphite car and one adult car. Will be looking for my buds out there!
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite