Oil to Graphite

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Razzy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Oil to Graphite

Post by Razzy »

Can i convert to graphite from oil using same axles? I'd like to change race classes, if so, what are the steps i have to take to do this?

Since my son and I cant do the midamerica pinewood derby this year, since he has a camp out which we cant get out of, my son cant do

oil class next year since he will be out of scouting as a tenderfoot. in BS

So i need to change from oil to graphite.

I dont think my builder will build for me any longer, after i heard not so nice comments bout me and my cars he worked on(butt dialed)...

so i guess i need advice on this.

Thanks Razzy

p.s....hopefully Greg will have a kids oil class sometime.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Oil to Graphite

Post by Vitamin K »

Razzy wrote: I dont think my builder will build for me any longer, after i heard not so nice comments bout me and my cars he worked on(butt dialed)...

so i guess i need advice on this.
Your...builder? For scout cars, your builders should be you and your son. What's the point, otherwise?
p.s....hopefully Greg will have a kids oil class sometime.
There's not an "Open Kids" oil division, but kids are free to race in the Pro division, where oil is allowed.
Razzy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Razzy »

I should have stated that we dont know how to do a rail rider, so we wanted em done.

my son did build a scout car as all the others he did for the last 4 years which were not rail riders and we wanted a rail...so we seeked help.

for a straight car, he does build em..and places well....2.981 last year...no fenders.

that made his day..
Last edited by Razzy on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Razzy wrote:I should have stated that we dont know how to do a rail rider, so we wanted em done.

my son did build a scout car as all the others he did for the last 4 years which were not rail riders and we wanted a rail...so we seeked help.

for a straight car, he does build em..and places well....2.985 last year...no fenders.

that made his day..
There are plenty of resources (including this board) for learning to build and tune a rail rider. I'd strongly encourage you to eschew having anybody else build your son's car for a scouting race.
Razzy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Razzy »

i think i got the idea of doing a shortcut since i feel alot of people... scouts included, dont build their own cars...u know the 8 year old kids doing 2.95's.

i call it evening the odds...i feel you do have integrity..but i dont this year...usually i am a fair person who hasent bent the rules...i may learn to do a rider, by reading these forums,

but i felt "why not" this year.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Razzy wrote:i think i got the idea of doing a shortcut since i feel alot of people... scouts included, dont build their own cars.
True or not, the attitude of this forum is indicated by the fact that names of such builders are erased from posts automagically. This erasure includes the names of businesses that sell such "prebuilts".
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

The whole point of this forum is for the adults to work with the kids on building the cars, with the kids doing what they are able. If it takes having someone else building the car, then what are you teaching your son? Build it together, have fun doing it, stick to the rules, and if you two win a trophy that's great. If you two don't win a trophy, there's some good life lessons there to be had for your son. Honesty, integrity, doing your best, follow the rules, you won't always win, it's fun to work with his parent on a project, and so on. So, I encourage you to learn how to build a faster car, if that is what your son wishes. Even though he will be moving up to Boy Scouts, he will be able to compete in the Kid's Division at Mid-America.

There's plenty of information on this and other forums on building a fast car. Here's where I suggest that you start:

https://youtu.be/
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Razzy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Razzy »

thanks for the input...it does help and i do feel better now instead of being frustrated.

i would never give names out of businesses or people..rest assured.

now i gotta buy a track..lol
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Razzy wrote:thanks for the input...it does help and i do feel better now instead of being frustrated.

i would never give names out of businesses or people..rest assured.

now i gotta buy a track..lol
A track is definitely helpful, if you have the money and space, but it is definitely not a necessity in learning to build a fast rail-rider car! There are successful league-racers who don't have regular access to a track.

Consider reading and absorbing the material here. Once you learn to build a car with good rear alignment and to set your steer on a tuning board, you'll be well on your way.
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

I think it is much harder to tune a car to roll straight then it is to have it roll consistently off center for rail riding.
Razzy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Razzy »

ya were behind the times....we have always done straight aliagnments. We didnt even know bout rail riding until 2 years ago

we really concentrated on going strait, and we did well at it...last year, we were beat by fender cars (which we didnt know bout) ..so we are behind on that also..so i guess alot of homework needs to be done.

so i guess we are still newbs .. :(
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Razzy wrote:so i guess we are still newbs .. :(
We all got our start by not knowing much about building fast cars. But by educating yourself and your son, you can come a long way in a relatively short amount of time.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

A lot of the fastest pinewood derby car builders got their behinds whooped when they were first helping their scout build a fast car. Taking that loss and using it as motivation to really look at what works to build a fast car and testing against other builders. Just like sports or any other skill you don't get better unless you practice. GP's link to that video is a good overview on the concepts involved in what makes a fast car.

I would also highly recommend going to http://5kidsracing.webs.com and look through particularly the scout workshop. The process that is outlined is the basis off of what most adult league builders use for their cars and adapted to what most relevant for scout cars. Covering axle hole drilling, wheel and axle polishing, graphite burnishing, and tuning to rail run. His kid's car was the winner of the 2013 Mid America open scout division as well.