Wooden Spoon Carving!

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Wooden Spoon Carving!

Post by Vitamin K »

Okay, so this doesn't directly apply to Pinewood Derby construction...buuuuut...it doesn't take much imagination to extrapolate these techniques towards building a derby car. Especially if you want something outside of the 'plank' variety.

Interesting use of the bandsaw as carving tool, I must say. Watch those fingers, though!

https://youtu.be/
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Wooden Spoon Carving!

Post by Darin McGrew »

Wow... what a cool channel. I also liked his hatchet refurb video. At first, I was rather skeptical, but the fully refurbished hatchet is beautiful.

https://youtu.be/wCCjZE6Ve_A
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Vitamin K wrote:Okay, so this doesn't directly apply to Pinewood Derby construction...buuuuut...it doesn't take much imagination to extrapolate these techniques towards building a derby car. Especially if you want something outside of the 'plank' variety.
Very interesting. I like how he hot glued and then restacked the pieces to do the top cuts. I've had several kids at workshops draw the top and side profiles on their block and that trick would have come in handy.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Yeah, when I'm working the band saw at our workshops, I often get handed a block that has outlines drawn on 2 or more sides of the block. (It's my own fault for encouraging them to "think outside the box"... ;)) I'm going to start keeping a roll of blue masking tape handy, because that would eliminate a lot of the gymnastics I do to avoid completely detaching a piece of the block that has an outline that I still need to cut.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Darin McGrew wrote:Yeah, when I'm working the band saw at our workshops, I often get handed a block that has outlines drawn on 2 or more sides of the block. (It's my own fault for encouraging them to "think outside the box"... ;)) I'm going to start keeping a roll of blue masking tape handy, because that would eliminate a lot of the gymnastics I do to avoid completely detaching a piece of the block that has an outline that I still need to cut.
Would double-sided celephane tape work in place of the hot glue? I think I've read of that for similar purposes.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

I think his bandsaw tips video alone has a lot of great info.

https://youtu.be/gA4lpsEWM5k