BSA Block Weight

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
rcmoeur
Pine Head
Pine Head

BSA Block Weight

Post by rcmoeur »

(I did multiple searches to see if this topic had been created yet, and couldn't find anything. Apologies if it's a duplicate).

I volunteered to purchase the Pinewood Derby kits for our Pack from the Scout Store, and I figured that since I had 54 unopened boxes (all copyright dated 2012), I'd run a bit of an impromptu weight analysis. I already knew that everything but the block (box, instructions, stickers, axles, wheels, packaging glue) reasonably consistently weighed 38 grams, so I weighed each box and tallied the results in a spreadsheet.

Results:
Lightest box: 123 grams, which equates to a 85 g (3.00 oz) block. I opened this box and discovered the block had cracked - it'll be used as a teaching aid in the future. The next-lightest box was 130 g, which equates to a 3.25 oz block.
Heaviest box: 171 grams, which equates to a 133 g (4.69 oz) block. I opened this box and saw (unsurprisingly) that the block was very firm and dense-grained. Needless to say, some wood would have to be removed to hit the 5 ounce limit without any added weighting. 4 out of 54 boxes (7.4%) were above 165 g (4.5 - 4.7 oz blocks).
Average weight: 145.2 g (box), 107.2 g (block) - about 3.78 ounces for an average block.
Mode: The most frequent (n=5) were 135 g boxes / 97 g (3.42 oz) blocks - on the light side of average.
Standard Deviation: 10.67 g, 0.38 oz.

Science Marches Onward!
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: BSA Block Weight

Post by knotthed »

Back in the early days when we used to sort boxes, I used the opportunity to explain a bell curve to my son. We stacked them up showing the distribution. I will have to see if I can find a picture.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Rcmoeur thanks for the data.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

rcmoeur wrote:(I did multiple searches ... and couldn't find anything.).
FWIW, here is a similar topic.