Pledge Floor Care Finish?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Pledge Floor Care Finish?

Post by Vitamin K »

So, I'm pretty much sold on using acrylic paints for the kids' cars, because they're non-toxic and non-smelly, and I can let them paint on their own without having to set up a spray hood and all that nastiness.

Usually, what I'll do is after the kids have painted their cars, I'll take them and put a coat of clear coat on them. In the past, I've used this stuff: Aleen's Sealer

It works pretty well, but it is still an aerosol, which means that I have to be the one to do it, and it does create smelly fumes.

So, I'm thinking about getting a bottle of this stuff here: Pledge Floor Care Finish.

The product has been through a few name changes (In the video it's called Future Shine, I believe), but it appears to be an acrylic clear coat that can be applied with a brush.

Here's the video. Guys uses a little bit of salty language, so be warned if that's an issue.
https://youtu.be/

So do you guys think it would work well as a clear coat over acrylic paint?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Pledge Floor Care Finish?

Post by Speedster »

That looks like it came out nice. That would be ideal for scouts. The kids love to paint. Maybe make a little test panel on the type paint you use. General Motors used only lacquer paint, not enamel, on their cars in the 60's. Who can tell me what the letters COPO stand for? Except for Stan Pope. We know he knows the answer.
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

This stuff is the real deal. I did this demonstration car to teach my son to airbrush and to test cheap walmart Apple barrel paints and the Future floor polish methods. I was very happy with it. Just remember to never clean the car with windex, as it will strip the clear!

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster wrote: Who can tell me what the letters COPO stand for?
COPO-lymer or COPO-lyesters. :D
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

Speedster wrote:General Motors used only lacquer paint, not enamel, on their cars in the 60's. Who can tell me what the letters COPO stand for? Except for Stan Pope. We know he knows the answer.
Central Office Production Order- was Chevrolet's special-order system, notoriously used by dealers in the 1960s to build high-performance models that couldn't be found anywhere else.

That's easy for a car guy.

We used this on the 2011 car a 1959 Cadillac... so I decided to use Future floor wax (it had worked in the past without any troubles). The only trouble with Future is it dries very slowly so you need to cover it or you can end up with a lot of dust in the clear.

I will have to re link my pictures, as Comcast has dropped their hosting.

Andy
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

race#67:

That's a beautiful body there! I am encouraged that you did it with the Walmart Apple Barrel paints, because that's what I have on hand for the kids to use!

ah8tk:

Good to know about the dust issue. I'll have to make some kind of hood to sit over it. Guy in the video said that it took about 30 minutes to dry.

BTW, it makes me sad that the images are broken in the post you linked. :)
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

Vitamin K wrote: ah8tk:

Good to know about the dust issue. I'll have to make some kind of hood to sit over it. Guy in the video said that it took about 30 minutes to dry.

Most of the images are back, the others, from later in the post may be lost to history.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

ah8tk wrote:
Vitamin K wrote: ah8tk:

Most of the images are back, the others, from later in the post may be lost to history.
Thanks! That was really cool to see!
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Laserman »

That Pledge is great but like Whoda says it takes a while to dry.

Hey VK,

Check out this link.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Canopies.html

Sorry. I meant this link.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Laserman wrote:That Pledge is great but like Whoda says it takes a while to dry
:scratching:
ah8tk wrote: The only trouble with Future is it dries very slowly so you need to cover it or you can end up with a lot of dust in the clear.
Andy
I've never used this stuff so how would I know that it takes a while to dry Joe! ;)
Last edited by whodathunkit on Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Laserman »

whodathunkit wrote:
Laserman wrote:That Pledge is great but like Whoda says it takes a while to dry
:scratching:
ah8tk wrote: The only trouble with Future is it dries very slowly so you need to cover it or you can end up with a lot of dust in the clear.
Andy
I've never used this stuff so how would I know that it takes a while day to dry Joe! ;)

Oops!

Wrong fella!

They have something in that link about avoiding the fog from Crazy Glue on a clear plastic windshield by using that Pledge.

Also... applying decals and some other handy uses.

Ok... I feel like a spokesman now.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Might have to give it a try though after reading the topic.
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

The kids clear coated their cars last night.
We used pledge without reducing this time (in the past I thinned 25% with Isop Alc). The kids have been using the airbrush and were taking turns laying down coats and it became a 'gloss contest'.
These are dry in these pictures, but we will let them sit 24 hours before touching as there is a decent buildup on them. This is the most we have ever put on, and they look amazing.
The daughters wedge car was color painted with a foam brush, so some stroke marks are visible under the future but it is still nice.
The Son's 'black tipped reef shark" (his design and choice all the way) is over grey krylon and home made decals I created from his sketches.
I love future because it never crinkles the decals or paint below, which seems to be a bigger problem with aerosol clears than it was years ago.

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Wow race#67 the cars look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Really slick! Love the shark design.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.