Plum Crazy Semi Truck Build

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Plum Crazy Semi Truck Build

Post by whodathunkit »

Thought I'd title this build plum crazy.. Why you might ask me!

I'll start by saying by chance there might be little eyes looking over the topic...
Who are also looking to do something plum crazy as well like building a semi truck with out a kit totally from scratch lumbers.

So before I start this scratch built semi truck.

Kid's I'd like to add a note of precaution if your looking to build one of your very own.
Please get adult help for the use of power tools and your wood cutting needs.

I'll start with the truck frame photos..
For now I'll be setting the 3/8 x 1 3/4 x 19 truck frame aside and moving on to cab steps and fuel tanks.

For making the cab steps I'll be using some 3/4 x 1 1/2 pine (note the 3/8 thick part.)
Here is a view of what the steps would look like if your looking under the frame.

For making the fuel tanks 5/8 dowels are used.
I'll be cutting them 2 3/8 long with 3/16 marked on each end for rounding over the ends.

For the tank mounts I'll be using 1/8 Burch plywood and stack cutting them on the scroll saw.
Here is one way of making your own.. I'll be using a circles template to make a pattern for the tank mounts.
Edit: note the 3/4 seen for tank mount was missed marked.. should have been 3/8 for mounting to 3/8 frame.

I will end with this for tonight.. keep looking in as I'll be working on the truck build.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Plum Crazy Semi Truck Build

Post by whodathunkit »

Moving on with the semi truck build day 2:

For making the steps seen behind the fuel tanks I'll be using 5/8 x 7/8 pine.
Image top side view is 5/8.
Image side view is 7/8.

I'll cut them out on the scroll saw by first cutting out the front then the sides.
Note the side view of the step:
If the out side edges were the frame of the truck this is how the steps would look.
Image.

For making the air horns here are a few photos of some ways I like to make them.
Image dremel lathe.
Image or with a drill press and small files.

For the making the air filters I use 15/32 dowels a drill press and a hobby saw.
Here is one I made using the hobby saw.. wooden screw hole buttons can also be use for making a cap if you like this look.

Here is what a few of the parts look like to the truck pattern.

More work to be done.. hope your picking up on a few design ideas for making your own.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

"Oh" the trial & error & miner setbacks of building things from scratch and trying new things for the first time.

Moving on with the finders and frame:
I must say I missed the frame up on my first attempt of spacing the axles just so.. So the finders would fit over wheels.

For making the fenders:
I thought I'd make them a little bit wider the normal using 1/2 x 1 1/2 pine cutting a notch 1/4 deep and 1/8 wide on the table saw.
From there I taped them with the notches facing together.
And re -traced the fender pattern drawing for a cutting template for the scroll saw.

Frame with the fenders:
Second time around was the charm for the fenders fitting.

For gluing the cab steps, fuel tanks & back steps on to the frame:
I thought it would be nice to have every thing flush with bottom of the fenders so nothing would drag the track.

Here it is with all the wheels back on:

I'll be painting the truck frame with a brush afterwords .. so to keep the build rolling I'll be showing the frame work unpainted.

Hope your enjoying the truck build so far.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Coming along real nice!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thanks Randy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

After doing a test roll of the frame I was not happy with how some of the wheels touched on the rear of the truck.

With the title of this topic being plum crazy:
I thought why not try something new and a little crazy by bending the 19 inch long frame with heat from a heat gun.

Well see how the frame holds up.. it may not work then again there is always chance it might.

Sent from my lap top using hen peck.. :mrgreen:
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

I left showing the truck frame clamped with the starting bend in front of the rear steps.
After letting it set clamped over night here is what the bend in the frame looks like so far.

More bending of the frame..
Note last night was only the top side in front of the rear steps.
After working on it some more in the early morning hours this time heating all the way around the frame.
And starting the second bend just behind the rear steps.

Here is the bend now that the frame is cooled off and un-clamped.

Note hot air will discolor the wood.. Got a little crazy with the heat to get it hot.
Bottom side view:

View of the back and front wheels lifted:
Image back wheels.
Image front wheels.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

With the frame work out of the way and the wheels set up to my liking.

Thought I'd take a little more time to share how I like to make the open cabs with window cut outs.
For making the side doors and the back I'll be using 1/8 birch plywood and stack cutting 2 out at the same time.
I'll start with retracing the door pattern:
Cut the side doors and window openings out then move on to cutting out 2 backs using one for holding things square.
Then glue the doors to the back of the cab with out gluing the bottom.

For the top of the cab and firewall I'll be using 1/4 x 1 3/4 pine and drawing a line across the door post for making a sun visor.
I'll find the center and draw lines angled to about an 1/8 away from the door post line and sand to shape.
From there I bevel the front down to 1/8 thick then flip the cab on it side
and mark out for 1/8 on the front and angle it back flush to the back of the cab.
Using a table top belt sander to shape it to the lines.

For making the firewall 1/4 thick pine that I'll cut notches in for setting the front of the doors into.
Note: I'll be setting them in by 1/8 to give the cab some shape.
From there I clamp the firewall to the doors and draw the bottom shape and sand to shape for clamping & gluing.
You can glue the bottom in or leave it so it can be removed from the cab.

For making the center post for the windshield 1/8 thick plywood.
I'll use the cab flipped on it 's side over the top of the plywood lined up flush to the top of the firewall
and use the door post for marking 2 lines moving it back a little 1/8 or so for the 2nd line for finding the angles.

From there I'll use the top of the cab to find the center for the post.

Gluing and holding the center post in is the hardest part of making one for the cab.
View of fit to the bottom side of the cab top.

Here's one of a cab i'v done using some clear plastic for windshield glass thanks to a tip from Sporty.
To see more on this truck build check out this topic.
http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=7796

However after seeing this topic on semi truck designs
Please check out the many different builders and there trucks on some of these topics for some really cool ideas as well.
http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... cks#p71641

Well that's how I like to make the open cabs for the semi trucks with windows...
Hope it helps you out with your designs if your looking to make a semi truck.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Hope to have a few photos of how clear plastic can be used in your open cab designs soon.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Ready to see how you can use plastics in your open cab designs ?

I"ll show you by installing some in the cab for this semi truck.
First I'll start by using a story pole and mark the height of the cab for cutting the sheet plastic.
Note the pen i'm using is made by pilot precise v5 rolling ball extra fine.
I like it for the fine line unlike the wider line a sharpie pen will leave on the plastic.
With the plastic cut I'll lay the cab face down and mark out the width of the windshield.
Then I'll lay the cab on it sides over the top of the plastic sheet to mark out for the doors and where the windshield fold will be.
To give you the idea of what it looks like all marked out and ready to cut & fold to shape.
I'll cut the door sides first and then move on to the windshield leaving extra on the sides for folding and gluing.
Hope you can see the extra plastic for the windshield and gluing back to doors better in this photo.
Here is what it looks like all folded and almost ready to install.
Then I'll cut off the plastic for fitting the doors at the back of the cab.
From here you'll set it aside to do your painting ..then install the plastic by gluing it in place and then the cab top.

Hope this helps you out if your looking to do something like this with your semi trucks.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Love the craftsmanship :bigups:
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Just wanted to chime in that the workmanship and detail on this are remarkable. You are a true craftsman, Whoda.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thanks Guys!

The build has been slow going here lately.

That's just the thing with building them if you want accessories you have to make them for the trucks.

Unlike the car accessories you can get.

So I'll keep sharing the ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Work go's on as finding the shop time has been a little tough here lately!
For the making the long hood for this monster of a truck .
Thought i'd share a way that some type of a long hood ornament could be added.
And then do a little wood shaping of my own to it after seeing some really cool car topics posted here lately.

For making the hood ornament 1/8 bass wood and then sawing a notch down the center of the hood block for it to fit into.

This is what I came up for the shape of the hood.

I thought why not try to do something different for a change to the grill design on the truck by making a custom 3 bar design.
So to do this I cut the front off and then cut the grill out to shape next came the very thin pop sickle Idea for making the grill bars.
I tried just gluing them in.. Then I thought notches for setting them in would hold better for gluing in place.
If you look close you'll also see the notches cut out in outer part of the grill for holding the bars in place.
Hope you have enjoyed seeing me try something new with the grill.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Moving on to the smoke stack's..
You could use wooden dowel rods to make them out of.. I've made several trucks using them there is nothing wrong about it.
But if you like the looks of the open pipes try using some alum tubing in your designs.

For making the smoke stacks I like the looks of open pipes.
So I'll be making them out of some 9/32 x .014 And 1/4 x 0.14 alum tubing by K & S precision metals.
Plus I'll share a different type of metal that I like to use for making the heat shields out of for the pipes.
You can find these in most hardware stores or on line ..I really like using it because of looks.

I use the pattern for marking the tubing and cut them using a Dremel tool with a cutting disk.
When cut and all cleaned up I'll mark and glue the outer pipes on.
Next cut the MR.Grip to length and rap it around the larger pipe.
Note: I'll be using the wider one seen in the yellow package.
I start by laying it flat on the table and start in the center picking up the ends and rolling it some to help bend it.
Note: it will not rap all the way around the tubing so you'll need to keep the open end to the cab side for gluing.
Here is what the pipes will come out looking like.
If you like the looks of grab bars on the smoke stacks you can use wire or paper clips to make them.
All's you need to do is lay the pipe down and roll it so the bevel cut of the pipe is facing the way you want it .
then drill 2 small holes through it where you want the wire to stick thought for mounting it.
Bend the wire to fit through the holes drilled and use the ends for marking were you want to drill the holes in the cab.
This will help hold it in place for gluing the smoke stacks to the cab.
Here's a top view of the open pipes.

Paint:

Hope some of things i'v have shared help you out & best of luck with your semi truck designs.
Whoda.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.