block backwards

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
68sportcoupe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

block backwards

Post by 68sportcoupe »

my son wants to build a truck this year.
looking at designs it looks like having the wheels closer to the front
looks much better with a truck.
but we have allways built cars the other way I believe this was for stability.
is there something that can be done we have had a bit of a wobble the last few years and don't want it to get worse
my son hasn't metioned it but just looking at designs ive noticed what looked better
thanks for any and all advise
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: block backwards

Post by whodathunkit »

Hi 68sportcoupe!

I think a lot of wobble problems come from many different things.
Thing's like having the weight to far back to wheel tracking issues there are lots of things to try!

There are a lot of good topics here on Derby Talk that talk about wheel prep, and rail riding and how to set the truck or car up
to ride down the rail on 3 wheels.. make sure to check your rules for the race and to see if you can set the truck up for this.

Just use the search in the up-er right to find these topics and you'll be on you way to making some really fast trucks.

I also know what your saying about having the block backwards and the front wheels closer in the truck design.
Pick up trucks are cool but can be a little hard to set up to run with the cars.

Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: block backwards

Post by Speedster »

Using the Long end for the front is not for stability, it is to enable you to get the Center of Mass higher up the arc. Remember, no matter where the Center of Mass starts on the Circular Arc Ramp it will reach the Horizontal run about the same time. This is to be expected because of the similarity of the Circular Arc ramp to the Cycloid of Constant Time. When this is demonstrated with visuals it is easy to understand and even the Tigers know to use the long end for the front. This doesn't mean you can't win using the short end for the front. You are fighting Physics using the short end but it will depend on a lot of factors, one of which is your competition. If you find round wheels, build a 3 wheel rail rider if you are allowed, do excellent wheel and axle prep, get rid of as much wood as possible, keep your weight low and have an aggressive Center of Mass, that's about all you can do. My friend Wil and his son won the Commodore Perry District race one year with a truck. It was a masterpiece of Engineering. Have Fun with your scout. Give him what he wants. Best of Luck to your Team.