Newbie Axle question

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Post Reply
adayzdone
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:52 am
Location: Westchester - NY

Newbie Axle question

Post by adayzdone » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:13 am

What is the best way to instal axles into drilled (canted) holes? Do you glue them or is that only for slot instal? Do you need a spacer?



Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:48 pm
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Newbie Axle question

Post by Speedster » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:22 am

An easy way to get lots and lots of answers (I just did it) is to click on the "search" function and type in "Install axles into drilled holes". It will also tell you about gluing them in and where to drill the little hole.

Maximum velocity sells a small tool #5150, Axle Install Support, $2.95 that makes it a lot easier to install the axle. Unfortunately, if this is the only thing you buy the shipping is twice the price of the product. I buy them 6 at a time and offer them for sale at our workshops. I realize installing axles is very, very difficult for some folks. Building a car should be fun, not a burden. In the event you ever have to use the slots, we spread axle slots with an axle made in China (.096) and raise one slot to raise a wheel at the workshops. I push my axles in with a drill press using a Derbyworx tool and a notched credit card for the spacer. I have a block of wood, about 3/4" thick, with a hole drilled in it. This gives the wheel a place to go while you're installing the wheel on the opposite side. Our wheels are required to be straight up and down so I can't have 2 1/2 degrees camber. The rear wheels still migrate to the axle heads. Some day I might find out why.



User avatar
Vitamin K
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head
Posts: 980
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:26 pm
Location: Montgomery County, MD
Contact:

Re: Newbie Axle question

Post by Vitamin K » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:41 am

If I am using BSA axles into a #44 hole, I find that it helps to "relax" the holes first by inserting a sacrificial axle BSA axle with a pair of pliers, giving it a twist and pulling it out first.

You want to get your holes to where they are snug enough to hold the axle steady without slippage, but loose enough to be able to insert and remove them without damage.

You may need to loosen or snug your holes to get to this point.

For insertion, I find it helps immensely to have a K-House slot cut into the axle head. That way, you can put a screwdriver behind the axle and twist it gently as it goes in, to help it work its way in.

Definitely take Bill's advice regarding the gap spacer, be it a homemade one or a purchased one.



adayzdone
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:52 am
Location: Westchester - NY

Re: Newbie Axle question

Post by adayzdone » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:49 am

Vitamin K wrote:If I am using BSA axles into a #44 hole, I find that it helps to "relax" the holes first by inserting a sacrificial axle BSA axle with a pair of pliers, giving it a twist and pulling it out first.
I haven't done it yet, so maybe the answer will reveal itself to me, but why pliers to stick the nail it and not your fingers? Will pliers push it in straighter? Also, do you glue your axles if using drilled holes or is that only for slots?



User avatar
Vitamin K
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head
Posts: 980
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:26 pm
Location: Montgomery County, MD
Contact:

Re: Newbie Axle question

Post by Vitamin K » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:54 am

adayzdone wrote:
Vitamin K wrote:If I am using BSA axles into a #44 hole, I find that it helps to "relax" the holes first by inserting a sacrificial axle BSA axle with a pair of pliers, giving it a twist and pulling it out first.
I haven't done it yet, so maybe the answer will reveal itself to me, but why pliers to stick the nail it and not your fingers? Will pliers push it in straighter? Also, do you glue your axles if using drilled holes or is that only for slots?
If the hole is tight and I'm relaxing it, I use pliers with the throwaway axle so I can easily work it in, twist it a bit and pull it out. Gives me a better grip than using my fingers.

For scout races, we don't glue axles, and just rely on friction to keep them in.

I'm actually going to try a drop of glue on my axles for the next car I send in to a league race, because I'm concerned about shipping repositioning the axles. For this, I've drilled holes that expose the nail tips under the body, and I'll be adding a drop of super glue to them.



Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:48 pm
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Newbie Axle question

Post by Speedster » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:34 am

Uh-Oh...
Vitamin K, the reason you might have read to not use super glue, the latest in one of Maximum Velocity News letters, is not because super glue won't hold. It is because Super Glue gives off toxic fumes or whatever it gives off as it's drying. Whatever it gives off allegedly can damage your polished bores. The last car I built recently I decided to use white glue as recommended by Maximum Velocity. My wife saw what I was doing and said, "I don't trust that white glue". Isn't that funny? My wife telling me how to build a Pinewood Derby Car. Who does she think she is? I scraped off the white glue and applied Super Glue. Apparently she knows who she is. Yes Dear, I changed it to Super Glue.
The car won our "Sponsor" Race on Feb. 4, 2017. Maybe the Liquid Glass is so strong the Super Glue could not damage the bores.



User avatar
Vitamin K
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head
Posts: 980
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:26 pm
Location: Montgomery County, MD
Contact:

Re: Newbie Axle question

Post by Vitamin K » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:27 pm

Speedster wrote:Uh-Oh...
Vitamin K, the reason you might have read to not use super glue, the latest in one of Maximum Velocity News letters, is not because super glue won't hold. It is because Super Glue gives off toxic fumes or whatever it gives off as it's drying. Whatever it gives off allegedly can damage your polished bores. The last car I built recently I decided to use white glue as recommended by Maximum Velocity. My wife saw what I was doing and said, "I don't trust that white glue". Isn't that funny? My wife telling me how to build a Pinewood Derby Car. Who does she think she is? I scraped off the white glue and applied Super Glue. Apparently she knows who she is. Yes Dear, I changed it to Super Glue.
The car won our "Sponsor" Race on Feb. 4, 2017. Maybe the Liquid Glass is so strong the Super Glue could not damage the bores.
Hmm, interesting.

In my case, the glue hole only goes to the tip of the axle...which is as far away from the bore of the wheel as you could be. If I were gluing closer to the bores, I might be a little more concerned.

What I've heard about superglue is that it holds very well, but when you need to re-prep, you can easily just give the axle a twist and break the bond cleanly.



User avatar
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:33 am
Location: MN

Re: Newbie Axle question

Post by davet » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:45 pm

Image
We drill these 2 holes under the axle in line with the shaft. It seems to make sliding axles in and out easier during the build. When time to install for good we hold the bottle of Formula or Elmers glue tight against the inner most hole on each axle. Squeeze glue slowly until you just begin to see glue appear in the outer most hole. Flip car right side up and keep it level. Install wheel/axle assembly and excess glue will drop out the holes. Wipe it away so it doesn't run to the wheel and your done. It leaves plenty of time for aligning and tuning before it gets solid. You can give the axle a light twist then it will pull right out for re-prepping.
Prior reinstalling for the next race use your drill bit to open those 2 holes up again so you can apply glue again.



Post Reply